Fonts in Pages

TheChillPill

I have always been led to believe that for a font to display correctly on a
page, the visitors pc should have that font installed.

I recently visited a website (http://www.shauninman.com) with a nice looking
font for the headings (din-light). Now, I assumed that these were images
(the font has a 'soft' look that you would normally associate with an
image), however it occured to me that for such regular postings, doing an
image would appear to be a lot of work simply for a heading. On inspection,
it appears that the headings are not images at all - they are normal
headings. However, the font (which I do not have installed) has been
rendered correctly on my sustem.

I've taken a brief look at the code, but I can't see anything obvious about
how this is done.

Have I missed something??

Regards,

Lee

Toby A Inkster

Steve said:
It uses JavaScript to replace the text of the heading with a Flash
movie showing the same text in the desired font.

Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
(but using PNGs).

C A Upsdell

TheChillPill said:
I have always been led to believe that for a font to display correctly on a
page, the visitors pc should have that font installed.

I recently visited a website (http://www.shauninman.com) with a nice looking
font for the headings (din-light). Now, I assumed that these were images
(the font has a 'soft' look that you would normally associate with an
image), however it occured to me that for such regular postings, doing an
image would appear to be a lot of work simply for a heading. On inspection,
it appears that the headings are not images at all - they are normal
headings. However, the font (which I do not have installed) has been
rendered correctly on my sustem.

I've taken a brief look at the code, but I can't see anything obvious about
how this is done.

See http://www.upsdell.com/BrowserNews/res_fonts.htm#a04

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
SpaceGirl said:
TheChillPill wrote:

Using stylesheets,

[snip]

Not your day is it? The trimmed version of the OP's message that I've
included above rather suggests that your post was barking up a totally
wrong tree. Sorry.

Steve

Hmm no. I suggested how it could work. I forgot to mention that the
browser would randomly pick some other font if it couldn't find the one
it wanted (depends on the browser I think).

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

SpaceGirl

Steve said:
It downloads a specially formatted version of the font to the browser
so that the browser can format the text with that font 'on the fly'.
It does not download and install the full font to the user's computer.

Steve

It's a very smart effect! Fails pretty gracefully too. Those little
flash titles are fat downloads though... 33kb each, and I'm not even
sure they get cached because they are dynamic.

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Arondelle

brucie said:
you're asking the wrong person. embedded fonts do nothing except piss me
off. microsofts own example is a good demonstration of making previously
readable text unreadable but of course that doesn't matter as long as it
looks kewl.

Well, I didn't ask you, specifically, so don't feel that you were
obliged to answer.

Tell me something: is there anything put out on the web that DOESN'T
piss you off? I'm just wondering if I should take all of your advice
and produce only pages of black text on a white background with plain
links and no graphics at all. Totally inoffensive to anyone, but not
very interesting, either.

The only reason I don't filter you is because you occasionally come up
with some truly useful information rather than just snide remarks.
======================================

I can understand why people might hate Micro$oft: Bill Gates own 50% of
all the money in the world and is going to build a continent in the
shape of his head with it. His company's software is on most nearly
every computer in the US, if not the world, and some of it is, um, buggy.

But, other software publishers also produce buggy software. So, what
the Hel: one bug is as good as another.

The Great Unwashed don't even think about it. If it's there in front of
their faces and it's reasonably easy to use, they're going to use it,
and whine when it breaks. But, they wouldn't stir themselves to go out
and find something else, because they don't don't understand software,
and have no clue what to look for.
------------------------------------

I watch sports on TV with my husband. One thing I've noticed is that
the networks broadcasting the games go to get lengths to flash all sorts
of groovy graphics on the screen, sometimes accompanied by cool sound FX.

I really don't give a crap about stats (or the game, usually) and I find
all this eye-candy quite annoying. It gives me motion sickness (or,
compounds the motion sickness induced by my husband's incessant remote
flicking. Call it "video Whiplash."). However, the networks spend big
buck$ on this stuff, so *somebody* must like it; somebody who spend
money on the advertisers' wares, I suspect.

Same thing goes for websites: one man's annoyance is another man's eye
candy. Like it or not, the eye candy crowd far out-numbers the sour-pusses.

Bah! Humbug!

Arondelle

Steve Pugh

Karl Groves said:
There's always a guy like you around willing to ruin another fellow's fun!
;-)

I really wouldn't want to comment on Toby's idea of fun.
;-)

Steve

OJ

Toby A Inkster said:
Now that is quite a clever little trick. I might play around with that
(but using PNGs).

Hi,

Am I missing something here? I can't get a context menu for flash
anywhere on the page, and I have javascript and flash enabled. All I
see are text-selectable headings.

oj

Steve Pugh

Am I missing something here? I can't get a context menu for flash
anywhere on the page, and I have javascript and flash enabled. All I
see are text-selectable headings.

The normal Flash context menu doesn't appear but the normal text
context menu doesn't appear either, instead a minimal context menu
appears, presumably created via the Flash movie.
Also, you can select the text in the headings, or select the ordinary
text but not both at the same time.

Steve

brucie

in post: <
Arondelle said:
Tell me something: is there anything put out on the web that DOESN'T
piss you off?

i'm quite fond of the letters 'a', 'o' and the number '387'

Toby A Inkster

Steve said:

Well, I've already done it now. Also, I prefer ImageMagick to GD.

See the watermark background on these pages:
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/programming
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/home

Also, change the styles using the style switcher and watch the background
watermark update. :)

Only tested in Opera so far, but should at least work in Gecko and should
work partially in IE.

(Note: tobyinkster.co.uk is a work in progress, so yes, I know there are
lots of broken links, etc)