force horizontal scrollbar display on div

Guest

Hi guys

I'm using a div to create a list with ajax stuff. At the moment, the div
shows a scrollbar if the content is larger than the div.

The problem is that if it isnt, the scrollbar disappears and all my content
resizes, which obviously I don't want.

I know I can use overflow: auto on the div, but that shows a horizontal
scrollbar as well, and I don't need that - and because it's obvious I don't
need it - it looks daft.

Question - how can I get the vertical scrollbar to stay (and be grayed out
if necessary) but NOT have the horizontal scrollbar?

Any help appreciated, and I'm open to suggestions that don't involve a div!

Cheers

Dan