Foreign characters in file name - can't open()

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by P, Jan 31, 2005.

  1. P

    P Guest

    Hi,

    I use File::Find to go through some directories and grab
    files with a .log extension. I then open() each of these logs
    and do some processing on them. The mechanism itself works as
    expected, but I run into trouble when a log's file name has
    foreign characters in it (like German umlauts, for example).
    So in this snippet:

    find ( \&process(), '/starting/path' );

    sub process {
    return unless /\.log$/;

    open ( LOG, $_ ) or die $!;

    # go on to process file
    }

    open() refuses to open files with umaluts in the name (claiming
    "File not found", even though the file is present).

    I thought that "use utf8" might solve the problem, but it
    seems that it's used to allow foreign characters in the _script_,
    but it has no effect whatsoever on the script's _input_. Can
    someone please suggest how to get my script to read those pesky
    foreign character files?

    Thank you.

    P, Jan 31, 2005

  2. P

    D. Marxsen Guest

    Well, I don't use File::Find but use an own construct shown below. Just set
    $direc (e. g. "d:\copy\") and $recursive (e. g. 0) appropriately.

    use English;
    use strict;

    sub collect
    {
    my $direc = $ARG[0];

    my $fullname; # File name including path
    my $line; # One line of directory info
    my $record; # One record of the result
    my $timestring; # String containing time info
    my @filelist; # List of contained files
    my @stat; # Result of stat command

    opendir(DIRFILE,$direc)||die("Fail: Open directory: ",$!);
    rewinddir(DIRFILE);
    while (defined ($line=readdir(DIRFILE)))
    {
    next if $line eq '.';
    next if $line eq '..';
    (@filelist)=(@filelist,$line);
    }
    close(DIRFILE);
    foreach(@filelist)
    {
    $fullname=sprintf "%s%s\\",$direc,$ARG;
    if (-d $fullname)
    {
    if ($recursive==1) # User can suppress recursive operation
    {
    &collect($fullname);
    else
    {
    $fullname=~s/\\$//; # Files don't need a trailing backslash
    @stat=stat($fullname);
    $timestring=localtime($stat[9]);
    $record=sprintf ("%s\t%d Bytes\t%s",$fullname,$stat[7],$timestring);
    printf("%s\n",$record);

    It makes no problems when coming across German umlauts - you can pass the
    $fullname variable to an open command without problems. So you may give it a
    try.

    Cheers,
    Detlef.

    D. Marxsen, Jan 31, 2005

  3. It could be that the magic involved in the two argument form of open() is what
    is causing your problem. Try it with the three argument open() or sysopen()
    instead.

    perldoc perlopentut

    John

    John W. Krahn, Jan 31, 2005