Foreign characters in filenames, revisited

Thanks to your help I have learned how to open files which have
filenames containing foreign characters (like umlauts). I now have
a different, although slightly related problem. I am reading text
from a file. This file is a list of other files, each of which I have
to open for reading. I do something like this:

while (<>) {
# $_ contains one filename
chomp;

open ( IN, $_ ) or die $!;

# do stuff with the opened file
close(IN);
}

This is fine as long as the filename to be opened doesn't contain
foreign characters. It doesn't open such files. For example, if $_
is

"Todo El Ano.log"

then the open() will fail even though the file clearly exists. It has
no problems whatsoever with any filenames containing "normal"
characters.

Is there any way to properly open these kinds of files when getting
their names from a text file?

Shawn Corey

P said:
Hi,

[...]

Your problem is not with the filename but in the way it is read. You
have to change the way STDIN is read. Since I don't know what system
you're using I can tell exactly what is needed but if the filenames were
in UTF-8, then before the 'while(<>)...' use:

binmode(STDIN,':utf8');
while(<>) {

--- Shawn

Wes Groleau

Assuming that "foreign characters" means characters not
often found in English, the above has none. So I further
assume it was “Todo El Año.logâ€

(All Year vs. Entire Anus)

--
Wes Groleau

After the christening of his baby brother in church, Jason sobbed
all the way home in the back seat of the car. His father asked him
three times what was wrong. Finally, the boy replied, "That preacher
said he wanted us brought up in a Christian home, and I wanted to
stay with you guys."

Joe Smith

P said:
open ( IN, $_ ) or die $!;

Does it make any difference when using the three-argument open()?

open (IN, '<', $_) or die "Cannot open '$_' for input: $!\n";

-Joe