Forms Authentication with AD

Guest

Hi there

I'm using Windows Authentication to automatically recognise users in my web
app. However, I want directory to be password protected, so if they try to
visit the page in there, they MUST enter their password in a Windows Login
style popup (FOrms AUthentication).

I think I need to out another web.config in the directory with
authentication set to Forms? But how do I query the info received by forms in
AD? OR do I even need to, will .NET do it for me?

Basically, how to use Forms Auth with AD! Any help/links appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

DalePres

The whole purpose of using Windows Authentication is so that they don't have
to enter a username and password. If you set the permissions on your
protected folders properly, the job is done. If you want them to have to
type in a password, go to Forms Authentication.

The only way I know of to get what you want is if the user does not have
permission to access the resource on the web server, they will be presented
a Windows logon box. You could give each user a second Windows identity for
the protected folders, but that seems a waste.

Good luck,

DalePres
MCAD, MCSE, MCDBA

Guest

Just to clarify...

Basically we have an Intranet system running on Win2k3 with AD. Each user
logs into a comp, and from then on they can just double click the Intranet
icon on the desktop and not have to log into that seperately.

It's a fairly open company, so there's not much need for more protection
levels, apart from we want a page on the Intranet where they can update their
details stored in AD (tel, address, etc). Obviously we want to make this more
protected, and therefore I want to force them to login for that page.

Is this possibly just by setting the folder permissions?

Cheers

Dan

Gopal \(FMS, Inc.\)

You probably do not need to challange the user for username and password if
you are using windows authentication. You only show them contents in Active
Directory that they own because you will know who the user is.

You cannot retrieve the password out of Active Directory to explicitly
authenticate the user. You can get more information if you look up ADSI
:http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/adsi/adsi/
iadsuser_setpassword.asp

Hope this helps.
--
Gopal Rangaswamy
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer

DalePres

Now it makes more sense. I don't think you can do it by setting
permissions. You'll probably have to create a separate web app for that
piece so you can configure the security differently.

DalePres
MCAD, MCSE, MCDBA

Guest

Hi guys

Just to let you know I've sorted it - had to take DalePres' approach and use
a seperate web app but its worked. Just setting up Forms with AD now :)

Cheers for all the help!