Use of ACLs possible with Forms authentication against AD?

Guest

My current scenario is users logging in to our website and being directed to
a specific directory based on who they are. The ACLs on the destination
result in prompts for credentials (the windows popup dialog). I'm using
basic windows authentication with https to protect the username and password.

I'd like to have a nicer login UI using Forms authentication against the AD,
but would still like to use ACLs to control resource access. I've seen
several examples of using Forms authentication to authenticate the user
against the AD, but they discuss it with use of role based authorization for
apps, which I don't really need.

Does anyone know if you can use Forms authentication against the AD but
still take advantage of ACLs for resource authorization? If so, could anyone
share the location of some sample code?