FormView programmatic binding for update, insert

Frank Burleigh

I prefer to have more control over the plumbing in my apps, but the
documentation for asp.net 2 assumes an "ObjectdataStore" approach.

I have the usual data access and logic layers. Retrieving both a list
and one record (for updates) is easy and working well. That's being
done by my setting the DataSource for the FormView and calling the Bind
method myself.

Now, for updates (and later, inserts). Can the Bind method work from
the form *to* the DataSource (not DataSourceID)? What if I'm writing
the Update command event handler? Or would I need to get the values
from the form (or the NewValues and OldValues collections), update the
BLL, then call the BLL's method that finally makes the DAL do the update
to the database server?

Thanks very much.