FPGA-programmers and VHDL on OS-X?

Oliver Bandel

Hello,

what products are available for OS-X (or Linux-stuff
that easily can be ported to OS-X) for FPGA-programming
and VHDL?

I need hardware as well as software.

Any ressources/tools you can recommend?

TIA,
Oliver

Mike Treseler

Oliver said:
what products are available for OS-X (or Linux-stuff
that easily can be ported to OS-X) for FPGA-programming
and VHDL?

I need hardware as well as software.

Not many.
I would start with emacs and vhdl-mode for design entry:
http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/stories/faq.html
http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/emacs/vhdl-mode.html

And a vhdl simulator.
I haven't tried this one, but it looks interesting:
http://www.gmvhdl.com/mac-dv.html

I would defer getting hardware until
I had working code to try out.

-- Mike Treseler

Andy Peters

Oliver said:
what products are available for OS-X (or Linux-stuff
that easily can be ported to OS-X) for FPGA-programming
and VHDL?

I need hardware as well as software.

Any ressources/tools you can recommend?

There are none.

Seems to me that since X Windows works well with OS X, the
Linux/Solaris tools could be ported to OS X without much difficulty.

.... but then look how long it took the Usual Suspects to port to Linux.

So don't hold your breath.

-a

Phil Tomson

Hello,

what products are available for OS-X (or Linux-stuff
that easily can be ported to OS-X) for FPGA-programming
and VHDL?

I need hardware as well as software.

Any ressources/tools you can recommend?

the GHDL VHDL simulator runs fine on OSX, I was using it quite a bit last
year:
http://eng-osx.sourceforge.net/GHDL.html

As far as synthesis tools go things aren't so available. Of course now
that Apple has Intel based Macs that opens up some possibilities. I
wonder if you could run Wine on an Intel-based Mac and then run Xilinx
(windows) tools under that?
Also, as OS X shares a lot with FreeBSD underneath one wonders if you
could run the Linux XST binaries on an Intel-based Mac OSX machine using
the Linux compatibility layer that allows FreeBSD to run Linux binaries?

Phil