frame grabber hardware

rubbishemail

Hello,

can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

Thank you

Daniel

Dan Stromberg

Hello,

can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video input
that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just want to get
the image into a file, no special requirements.

Thank you

Daniel

I'm not familiar with hardware framegrabbers, but you might consider
something like VMware as an alternative. It'll allow you to do
screenshots too, without any extra hardware (OK, it needs a machine with
enough disk and RAM).

Tim Roberts

can anybody recommend a simple USB or PCI framegrabber with video
input that runs under xp and has a python driver available? I just
want to get the image into a file, no special requirements.

There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
Logitech makes a bunch. Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
do it. The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

Are you looking for something more industrial?

rubbishemail

There are a vast range of inexpensive web cams that will do this job.
Logitech makes a bunch.  Most of the cheap imported still cameras can also
do it.  The Disney still cams at Target (made by Digital Blue) would work.

Are you looking for something more industrial?
I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
I want to acquire the images by a python software, which is running
the experiment.
For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.

Daniel

MRAB

I already bought a microscope with a ccd camera (no digital output,
only video signal), so far the image is displayed on a screen.
I want to acquire the images by a python  software, which is running
the experiment.
For this reason I need a framegrabber, but I want to buy one that I
can easyly integrate, i.e. call from python.

Daniel

Do you mean something like this?

Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter

I have no idea whether it would be suitable, but it's a start! :)

rubbishemail

Do you mean something like this?

Easy Cap Audio-Video Capturing Adapter

this would be suitable, if it had a documented driver, some sites said
it could only be used with the included
software. many bad comments, though:
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000392978&start=40

I found this library
http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/
which may be useful to others

I will probably go for a TWAIN enabled grabber like
http://www.zarbeco.com/usb_videolink.htm
and use
twainmodule.sourceforge.net/

An alternative would be to use directshow, which seems to be supported
by many cameras:
http://directpython.sourceforge.net/index.html

thanks for your input

Daniel