frames still bad?

Jon Slaughter

I'm learing html and I have a nav bar that I want to always be displayed on
the top of the page. Should I use frames or div? What I'm unsure about is
how I would load a page normally in a div. What about an iframe? I remember
that used to be a lot of hoopla over frames back in the day but I'm not sure
what to do now. I just don't see any need to reload the page every time
they click a link on the nav bar but I don't want to use any "advanced"
features more than I have to.

I was thinking of including the nav bar on every page linked by it but that
seems kinda redundant(I know the browser will cache the images but I still
think its kinda redundant to do because there are better ways). But maybe
I'm missing something?

Thanks,
Jon

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Jon Slaughter:
I'm learing html and I have a nav bar that I want to always be
displayed on the top of the page.

Stop wanting that.

When you have more than one content page, create a main page that contains
links to the content pages, and make the content pages link to the main
page.

Later, consider asking whether it would be useful to have a nav bar on every
page, and learn that the answer is probably "No". But if you decide
otherwise, design the navigation bar so that it need not be changed more
often than once in a decade, so that you can copy it onto every page (if you
can't use or don't know how to use or don't want to use server-side
includes).
Should I use frames or div?
No.

I was thinking of including the nav bar on every page linked by it
but that seems kinda redundant(I know the browser will cache the
images but I still think its kinda redundant to do because there are
better ways).

Don't even think of using images for navigation.
But maybe I'm missing something?

Yes. Try to find a good book on web design.

Andy Dingley

I'm learing html and I have a nav bar that I want to always be displayed on
the top of the page.

"Server side include" Just search around for that.
What about an iframe?

I can't imagine any situation where HTML learners are best served by
using an said:
I was thinking of including the nav bar on every page
Yes.

linked by it

I don't know what you mean by that.
but that seems kinda redundant

That's why we have computers. Make them do lots of dumb stuff for you,
even if it's sometimes wasteful, so that you can instead run and play
in the fruit-filled Elysian fields of robot-supported leisure.
(I know the browser will cache the images

Nav bar doesn't necessarily mean images. In most cases it _shouldn't_
mean images. Certainly you should get it all working in pure-text
first.

PS - best HTML tutorial book (perhaps the only good one) is O'Reilly's
"Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML".

Jon Slaughter

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Scripsit Jon Slaughter:

Stop wanting that.

When you have more than one content page, create a main page that contains
links to the content pages, and make the content pages link to the main
page.

Later, consider asking whether it would be useful to have a nav bar on
every page, and learn that the answer is probably "No". But if you decide
otherwise, design the navigation bar so that it need not be changed more
often than once in a decade, so that you can copy it onto every page (if
you can't use or don't know how to use or don't want to use server-side
includes).

Don't even think of using images for navigation.

and why the **** not? Its funny how you think you have the right to dictate
to me what I can and can not do. Sounds like your on an ego trip. To bad
for you now that I will put you on my ignore list.

Travis Newbury

and why the **** not? Its funny how you think you have the right to dictate
to me what I can and can not do. Sounds like your on an ego trip. To bad
for you now that I will put you on my ignore list.

First, you have chosen the wrong person to put on your ignore list,
and I am guessing Jukka could care less if he is on your list or not.
But you asked a question and he answered it with what he believes was
the best for you. Just because you don' t like the answer does not
mean that it is a bad answer. If you felt offended by his tone, then
you need to leave usenet or get a thicker skin.

Now to your questions, you can use server side includes to put the
navbar (menu?) at the top of all your pages. Frames usually suck and
you can probably do what ever you wanted easier and better without
them.

mbstevens

and why the **** not? Its funny how you think you have the right to dictate
to me what I can and can not do.

It's like you go the doctor, twist your neck in an odd way, and say, "Hey,
doc, it hurts when I do that." And the doc says, "Don't do that." That's
not dictatorial, it is services rendered.

And, did you think he could crawl through the cables to punish you?
Let's hope you're on dialup so you have time to get out of there, poor
baby!

Andy Dingley

And, did you think he could crawl through the cables to punish you?
Let's hope you're on dialup so you have time to get out of there, poor
baby!

Who's for a page of Chuck Norris / Jukka "If you nest <p> you may be
only seconds away from death" slash? :cool:

mbstevens

Who's for a page of Chuck Norris / Jukka "If you nest <p> you may be
only seconds away from death" slash? :cool:

Good idea.
We could call this slashing silicon hero The Lone Samurai.
(Unfortunately, Tonto won't be around to help, though. He kept addressing
the Lone Samurai as "Wasabi" and got fired.)

http://tinyurl.com/25h7eb