free unicode editors for win98 FE

Bob

I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.

I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
(http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
(http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
reliable source (no malware etc)?

Galen

In Bob <[email protected]> had this to say:

I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First
Edition.

I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C
validator (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
(http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

I can't explain it. I've no idea but there's this utility for you as you
wanted a free safe unicode editor.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/notepad2.html

Galen

V S Rawat

I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.

I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
(http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
(http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.

Can anyone explain this?

Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
reliable source (no malware etc)?

Search for a javabased FREE unicode editor "SIMREDO"

search on the net and download its latest version from their
site.

In case of any problem you can contact its developer
Mr Klivo Lendon <indriko at yahoo dot com>

works on 98SE as well xp etc.

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.

I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
(http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
(http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.

Can anyone explain this?

Take a look with a hex editor.
This file is _NOT_ UTF-8 but UTF-16LE.
And notepad tends to insert a BOM.
Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
reliable source (no malware etc)?

AFIAK Yudit is available for Mac, Windows and unix;
http://yudit.org/download/binary/

Vr.Gr,
Rob

Jukka K. Korpela

Bob said:
I have a file at
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_
accents_without_entities.xml

This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad,

It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.

So you need a different approach.
Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

There's no such thing as completely reliable source. (Would you rate
Microsoft as completely reliable for example?)

But see
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities.html#win
which has a nice collection of pointers to useful Unicode editors.
For editing Web pages, NVU ( http://www.nvu.com ) might be a good idea;
it has been developed from Netscape/Mozilla Composer, and it's gaining
popularity.

Dan

Consider upgrading to 98SE for WMP 9, better driver management, USB 2.0
through 3rd parties, more critical updates, best 9x operating system, imho,
etc.

: I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
:
: I have a file at
:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml
:
: This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
: (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
: (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
:
: Can anyone explain this?
:
: Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
: reliable source (no malware etc)?
:

Dan

VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x line
is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
weaknesses in the NT (New Technology --- aka Not There called by Microsoft
Engineers and I think even Bill Gates in the past --- first is true because I
read it in a book) In addition, any ideas on how to get a hold of the active
firewall that will shut down computer networks when users hack your
machine -- I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
if need be --- up to $300 but must be real --- TIA and have a nice day ---
BTW, you can probably tell that I worked for the U.S. government -- LOL

: On 3/21/05 7:27 AM India Time, _Bob_ wrote:
:
: > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
: >
: > I have a file at
: >
[...]
: --
: Rawat

Brian A.

Dan said:
I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---

Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you want
that type of security.

--

Brian A.

http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dan

Dang -- $3000 bucks --- well I don't have that kind of cash laying around but
thanks for the input anyway. <smile>

: > I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
: > need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be
high
: > if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---
:
: Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you
want
: that type of security.
:
:
: --
:
: Brian A.
:
: Conflicts start where information lacks.

Dan said:
VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x line
is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
weaknesses in the NT

This is off my topic, but my Dad, who was using Win 98 SE has just bought a
Mac. Two of my brothers & a nephew already use Macs. I've never met anyone
who's used both Windows and a Mac who didn't prefer the Mac

Linux is popular with people 30 years old & younger who work in Computing or
did Computer Science degrees. I suspect for non-techies it may be very time
consuming to keep a Linux system up to date & figure out how things work.

Bob

Jukka K. Korpela said:
It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.

Thanks Jukka . How did you determine the actual encoding? Is there some
utility I can use to easilly check future files?

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

This is off my topic, but my Dad, who was using Win 98 SE has just bought a
Mac. Two of my brothers & a nephew already use Macs. I've never met anyone
who's used both Windows and a Mac who didn't prefer the Mac

I know several people who use a Mac. I consider them to be people of
good taste.
Linux is popular with people 30 years old & younger

Just about everone I know using Linux or FreeBSD is older then 30.
who work in Computing or
did Computer Science degrees.

Or physics, astronomy or even philosophy or photography.
In fact, in my experience the best programmers are philosophers. They
know all about concepts and ideas and are therefore great at
abstractions.
I suspect for non-techies it may be very time
consuming to keep a Linux system up to date & figure out how things work.

Well at least it's possible to figure things out.

Regards,
Rob

Dan

Thanks Bob --- Unix/Linux and perhaps even Apple are definately in my future.
Have a nice day! :>

[...]

Good point, Rob. BTW, what is the link about bribing the EU? It did not
make sense to me. Have a great day!

: Hi there
:
:
: Bob wrote:
:
[...]
: +----------------------------------------------------------------------+
: | Bribe the European Commission |
: | http://mjr.iki.fi/texts/patentfund |
: +----------------------------------------------------------------------+

Dan

I actually want a reply to that as well. Great Point, Bob. :>

: : >
: > > I have a file at
: > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_
: > > accents_without_entities.xml
: > >
: > > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad,
: >
: > It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
: > ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
: > the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
: > encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.
: >
:
: Thanks Jukka . How did you determine the actual encoding? Is there some
: utility I can use to easilly check future files?
:

Rob van der Putten

Hi there

Good point, Rob. BTW, what is the link about bribing the EU? It did not
make sense to me. Have a great day!

The European Commission (EC) and the European- (EP) and member state
parliaments have opposing views considering software patents.
And since the EC is bending and even breaking all the rules and
procedures, trampling democracy, lying to both voters and their
representatives [1], one assumes that the EC is being bribed by
multinationals [2].
However, half a bilion europeans should be able to pay more money then
any multinational. Hence the signature.

[1] http://www.ffii.org/
[2] There about two EU compagnies in favor of software patents.
Te rest is against.

Regards,
Rob

Dan

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. Hopefully, Europe can get it
all sorted out soon. Have a nice day!

: Hi there
:
:
:

Bob said:
Thanks Jukka . How did you determine the actual encoding?

Well, the way I did it was simply telnet to the server using port 80
and then speaking HTTP. There are simpler ways too.
Is there
some utility I can use to easilly check future files?

http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html

(Using browsers for the purpose is unsafe, since they do not
distinguish their guesses from the data they actually get. And
different browsers guess differently.