FreeBSD/Linux X11 determine which window manager is active

Rod Person

I'm looking for a way to determine which window manager is running using
python. I can't seem to find a system variable that hold this info.

--
Rod

"it takes an unusual mind to see the obvious."
- Alfred Whitehead

Adriano Varoli Piazza

Rod Person ha escrito:
I'm looking for a way to determine which window manager is running using
python. I can't seem to find a system variable that hold this info.

I don't think one exists. You could check which process is running,
but that would be so web 1.0 (think javascript) it makes me sick just
to think about it. A better alternative could be to code with the
extended WM hints (see http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html
), that should cover many needs. As with the web, (this might be
something you already know, I apologise in that case), try to code to
functionality, not names. Check if the WM can do what you want, not
its name or version

HTH