Friendly community petition - official IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby

Andrew Stuart

This is a show of interest/community petition to IBM, requesting that IBM
develops a set of Ruby drivers for the DB2 database.

First up - this is a friendly petition. IBM/Grant Hutchison has been very
open to this idea and is interested in forming links to the Ruby community.
It would a great thing if this friendly and open approach was maintained by
the community in its relations to IBM.

***** quickstart - for those in a hurry
If you would like to request that IBM develop a set of "official" DB2
drivers for Ruby, send an email to (e-mail address removed) with a subject line
of "Friendly community petition - IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby".

***** in the Perl world

In the Perl world, IBM developed and maintains the DB2 drivers for Perl. It
seems logical that they should also develop a set of DB2 drivers for Ruby.

***** Michael Neumann's valued previous work in this field

Whilst Michael Neumann has done an awesome job of developing a set of Ruby
drivers for DB2 http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-db2/ , the project
status says
SQLAllocHandle, SQLFreeHandle,
SQLConnect, SQLDisconnect,
SQLPrepare, SQLNumResultCols,
SQLDescribeCol,
SQLExecDirect, SQLExecute,
SQLRowCount, SQLFetch,
SQLGetData,
SQLEndTran, SQLGetDiagRec
SQLDataSources SQLColAttributes SQLFetchScroll
SQLTables

It would be a great thing if IBM was to build a set of drivers that are
expose the full functionality of DB2, and are subject to IBM's testing and
quality assurance processes, and had the "IBM official DB2 drivers" stamped
on them. IT managers and operations departments will get warm fuzzy
feelings from code that uses such drivers.

Building enterprise class applications using Ruby and Ruby on Rails requires
drivers that ideally are developed by the database developer (IBM in this
case).

***** the Ruby contact at IBM

The Ruby community has been given permission to directly email email Grant H
utchison Technical Manager, Developer Initiatives - Cloudscape, DB2,
Informix. Here is Grant's email:

Andrew,
Please go ahead and use my name and email. I would be happy to hear more
about the request for IBM to get more engaged with the Ruby community and I
am the proper contact with IBM's DB2 team to field such requests. Please
suggest a common subject header so it is easy for me to handle the
potential volume. Based on the response I receive I will build a proposal
to get more involved.
Thanks,

Grant Hutchison
Technical Manager, Developer Initiatives - Cloudscape, DB2, Informix
IBM DB2 Information Management Software
(e-mail address removed)

***** so what do I need to do to express my support for IBM developing DB/2
drivers for Ruby?

Simple - send an email to Grant Hutchison (e-mail address removed) with a subject
line of "Friendly community petition - IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby".

If you've got more to say to Grant then put your text in the message body.

thanks

Andrew Stuart

Andrew S. Townley

Hi Andrew,

Just a thought: wouldn't it be better to have the "real" DB2 drivers
based on something other than essential the ODBC API? The API you
mention was part of Informix's "standardized" CLI interface which was
supposed to replace the ESQL/C and Illustra C++ APIs. However, it
doesn't really add much beyond the ODBC API (if I recall correctly--it's
been about 6 years since I looked at it).

Maybe as part of the acquisition, they've standardized on this as the
"official, forward supported" way to access DB2, but I'd be surprised.
In practical use, it's a bit clunky, but if that's what they have
available now, then I guess that's what we get. :)

ast

[...]

The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.