Function factories

Edward Rutherford

Hello

I want to make a factory that produces other functions according to a
parameter.

The following code does not compile:

typedef int *(foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int x)
{
int f(int a)
{
return a + x;
}
return &f;
}

The idea is that adder_factor(42) should be a function that adds 42 to
whatever it gets passed.

What's the right way of doing this in C? How can I get closures or
something similar in C?

Nobody

I want to make a factory that produces other functions according to a
parameter.

The following code does not compile:

typedef int *(foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int x)
{
int f(int a)
{
return a + x;
}
return &f;
}

C does not have inner functions or closures.
The idea is that adder_factor(42) should be a function that adds 42 to
whatever it gets passed.

What's the right way of doing this in C? How can I get closures or
something similar in C?

typedef struct foo {
int (*func)(const struct foo *, int);
int param;
} *foo;

static int adder(const struct foo *closure, int x) {
return closure->param + x;
}

foo adder_factory(int x)
{
foo p = malloc(sizeof(*p));
p->func = adder;
p->param = x;
return p;
}

#define call_foo(f, x) ((f)->func((f), (x))

Nick Keighley

You can't.

You can get sort-of simulated closures in complicated and verbose ways,
but there is no good way to do it.  gcc supports nested functions as an
extension to C, but that won't give you closures like this.

If you want to stick close to C, then C++11 supports lambda functions
and closures.

If you want to write code that makes strong use of closures in the
style, then use a programming language that supports it.  The latest C++
standard will get you the basics, but if you want to write code in a
more functional programming style, there are much better languages to
work with (ocaml, python, haskell, etc.)

scheme

(and does Python have particularly good support for functional
programming?)

jacob navia

Le 21/08/12 22:36, Edward Rutherford a écrit :
Hello

I want to make a factory that produces other functions according to a
parameter.

The following code does not compile:

typedef int *(foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int x)
{
int f(int a)
{
return a + x;
}
return &f;
}

The idea is that adder_factor(42) should be a function that adds 42 to
whatever it gets passed.

What's the right way of doing this in C? How can I get closures or
something similar in C?

If you have the JIT of lcc-win you write:

typedef int (*foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int value)
{
foo fnPtr;
char buf[512];

sprintf(buf,"int fn(int a) { return a + %d;}",value);
fnPtr = (foo)compile(buf);
return fnPtr;

tom st denis

[...]

You could accomplish similiar [though more longwinded] via compiling
code and using dlopen() to load it into your process space.

Both of which are completely OT for this group though.

BTW: your code doesn't seem to do any sort of error checking. What if
compile() fails?

Tom

James Kuyper

If you have the JIT of lcc-win you write:

typedef int (*foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int value)
{
foo fnPtr;
char buf[512];

sprintf(buf,"int fn(int a) { return a + %d;}",value);
fnPtr = (foo)compile(buf);
return fnPtr;

You could accomplish similiar [though more longwinded] via compiling
code and using dlopen() to load it into your process space.

The intent was for the definition of the adder to be contained inside
the definition of adder_factory().
Both of which are completely OT for this group though.

BTW: your code doesn't seem to do any sort of error checking. What if
compile() fails?

From the way it's used, it would appear to return a pointer. If
compile() fails, it might return a null pointer, in which case
adder_factory() will also return a null pointer, leaving it for the
caller to decide what to do about it. That's a perfectly reasonable way
of passing on the information that the call failed.

However, I think that compile() looks horribly type-unsafe.

Edward Rutherford

Nobody said:
C does not have inner functions or closures.

typedef struct foo {
int (*func)(const struct foo *, int); int param;
} *foo;

static int adder(const struct foo *closure, int x) {
return closure->param + x;
}

foo adder_factory(int x)
{
foo p = malloc(sizeof(*p));
p->func = adder;
p->param = x;
return p;
}

#define call_foo(f, x) ((f)->func((f), (x))

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I need an actual function, not a
macro, to be able to pass as a comparator function to qsort.

Guess I just have to communicate what I need through a global variable?
It would be nice if qsort took an extra "void *data" parameter, like
functions in Glib (where it's called a gpointer of course)...

James Kuyper

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I need an actual function, not a
macro, to be able to pass as a comparator function to qsort.

Guess I just have to communicate what I need through a global variable?

That's one alternative. However, you can avoid creating a global, with
all of the attendant problems. When used correctly, qsort() never calls
the comparison function with null pointers. You can take advantage of
that fact by making x a static variable local to the comparison
function, and if the first argument to that function is a null pointer,
interpret the second argument as a pointer to a new value for x.
It would be nice if qsort took an extra "void *data" parameter, like
functions in Glib (where it's called a gpointer of course)...

Yes. It's a well-known problem with all of the original C standard
library's callback functions. I think C11 has introduced some new
callbacks, but I haven't had time to learn much about them.

Edward Rutherford

James said:
That's one alternative. However, you can avoid creating a global, with
all of the attendant problems. When used correctly, qsort() never calls
the comparison function with null pointers. You can take advantage of
that fact by making x a static variable local to the comparison
function, and if the first argument to that function is a null pointer,
interpret the second argument as a pointer to a new value for x.

That is very clever.

It does feel like a little bit of a hack to me, and I'd probably want to
comment what was going on quite carefully.

It also has the downside of introducing an extra branch instruction
(check against NULL) in a function that could be called many many times
in a sort.

Still, ingenious! Thanks.

James Kuyper

On 08/22/2012 12:36 PM, Edward Rutherford wrote: ....

Yes. It's a well-known problem with all of the original C standard
library's callback functions. I think C11 has introduced some new
callbacks, but I haven't had time to learn much about them.

The new callback function is the one passed to
set_constraint_handler_s(). You cannot pass set_constraint_handler_s() a
corresponding void*data to be passed to the constraint handler when it
is called, so it looks like the committee has opted for consistency with
previous callback functions, rather than more flexible functionality.

constraint_handler_t functions take a second argument that is a void*,
but it is either null or points at an implementation-defined object,
which means that portable code can't do anything more useful with that
pointer than reporting whether or not it's null (which isn't
spectacularly useful).

jacob navia

Le 22/08/12 17:05, James Kuyper a écrit :
If you have the JIT of lcc-win you write:

typedef int (*foo)(int);

foo adder_factory(int value)
{
foo fnPtr;
char buf[512];

sprintf(buf,"int fn(int a) { return a + %d;}",value);
fnPtr = (foo)compile(buf);
return fnPtr;

You could accomplish similiar [though more longwinded] via compiling
code and using dlopen() to load it into your process space.

The intent was for the definition of the adder to be contained inside
the definition of adder_factory().
Both of which are completely OT for this group though.

BTW: your code doesn't seem to do any sort of error checking. What if
compile() fails?

From the way it's used, it would appear to return a pointer.

By convention it returns a pointer to the first function it finds.
This is highly dependent on the application and customer setup.

Some customers want to have a "main" function that starts the thing.
In that case the JIT will return a pointer to that function. Others
will put the main function at the start of the file and the Jit returns
a function to the first function it compiles.

In case of error (syntax error, no more memory, whatever catastrophe
occurs), it returns NULL. Diagnostics are printed in stderr, whatever
that is. In most applications stderr is a pipe connected to some
file.

Obviously in most applications the code buffer is machine generated.
It could be however that it is used as a C interpreter.

The resulting code is dynamically linked to the running program. There
is no preprocessor.
If
compile() fails, it might return a null pointer, in which case
adder_factory() will also return a null pointer, leaving it for the
caller to decide what to do about it. That's a perfectly reasonable way
of passing on the information that the call failed.

However, I think that compile() looks horribly type-unsafe.

In a sense yes, since it can return a pointer to ANY kind of function
by definition... It is up to you to cast the result pointer into
the right stuff. I do not see how to improve that without destroying
the generality of the program.

But we are used to it. fread() will read ANY kind of stuff into its
buffer, it is up to you to interpret the data correctly.

Heinrich Wolf

Is it? Try compiling the following code:

int main(void)
{
double d;
int *pi = &d;
return 0;
}

It compiles! On both Turbo C 2.0 and Borland C++Builder 5.

There are just 2 warnings:

Warning J:\C\TURBO2\NONAME.C 4: Suspicious pointer conversion in function
main
Warning J:\C\TURBO2\NONAME.C 6: 'pi' is assigned a value which is never used
in function main

Pascal is said to be more type safe. But I am astonished: Delphi 5 does not
issue a warning at all, just a hint:

program TypeSafe;
{$APPTYPE CONSOLE}

var d : double;
pi : ^integer;
begin
pi := @d;
exitcode := 0;
end.

[Hint] TypeSafe.dpr(7): 'pi' is assigned a value which is never used

Heiner

Anand Hariharan

Is it? Try compiling the following code:

int main(void)
{
        double d;
        int *pi = &d;
        return 0;
}

One additional line (that doesn't involve any casts) is sufficient -

int main(void)
{
double d;
void *pv = &d;
int *pi = pv;
return 0;
}

$ gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic foo.c
foo.c: In function ‘main’:
foo.c:6:10: warning: unused variable ‘pi’

James Kuyper

It compiles! On both Turbo C 2.0 and Borland C++Builder 5.

There are just 2 warnings:

Warning J:\C\TURBO2\NONAME.C 4: Suspicious pointer conversion in function
main
Warning J:\C\TURBO2\NONAME.C 6: 'pi' is assigned a value which is never used
in function main

The most that the C standard ever requires an implementation to do when
processing a program that has any kind of defect is to produce at least
one diagnostic message, contents unspecified; whether it then continues
to generate an executable is entirely up to the implementation. This is
one such case, a constraint violation (6.5.16.1p1). Any implementation
for which this program fails to produce at least one diagnostic is
non-conforming.

James Kuyper

Le 23/08/12 18:29, Anand Hariharan a écrit :
One additional line (that doesn't involve any casts) is sufficient -

int main(void)
{
double d;
void *pv = &d;
int *pi = pv;
return 0;
}

$ gcc -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic foo.c
foo.c: In function ‘main’:
foo.c:6:10: warning: unused variable ‘pi’

C allows you to interpret ANY part of memory as something else if you
(as you have shown) are careful to avoid the built-in barriers of the
language.

Interpreting doubles as integers is very useful if you want to test
some bits or manipulate some bits of the binary representation without
going through expensive floating point operations. The whole Sun math
library is built using this kind of code, and you can do that in C since
it is a language that doesn't IMPOSE anything to the programmer, like
C#, C++ or Cwhatever.

James Kuyper

One additional line (that doesn't involve any casts) is sufficient -

int main(void)
{
double d;
void *pv = &d;
int *pi = pv;
return 0;
}

Sure, C's support of type safety is weak, and easily circumvented. But
it's not non-existent, as implied by Chicken's first comment above. I've
used several languages with substantially less type safety; mostly ones
where type mismatches are not detected until something blows up at run
time. I greatly prefer catching them at compile time (a concept which
doesn't even apply to some of those languages).

Chicken McNuggets

Is it? Try compiling the following code:

int main(void)
{
double d;
int *pi = &d;
return 0;
}

Yes. It compiles with a warning as expected. Not a great example of type
safety.

This code on the other hand compiles with no warnings:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
int *ptr = (int*) malloc(sizeof(long));
*ptr = 10;
short blah = *ptr;
free(ptr);
exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

so please explain how C is a type safe language?

The fact that malloc() returns a void pointer that can be cast to any
type destroys any type safety C may have.

Try Haskell for a real type safe language.

jacob navia

Le 23/08/12 19:02, Chicken McNuggets a écrit :
Yes. It compiles with a warning as expected. Not a great example of type
safety.

This code on the other hand compiles with no warnings:

#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
int *ptr = (int*) malloc(sizeof(long));
*ptr = 10;
short blah = *ptr;
free(ptr);
exit(EXIT_SUCCESS);
}

so please explain how C is a type safe language?

Because you can assign a 64 bit integer into a short. If there is an
overflow the behavior is undefined but it can't be any overflow in your
example since 10 will fit into a short.

What is the problem?
The fact that malloc() returns a void pointer that can be cast to any
type destroys any type safety C may have.

Try Haskell for a real type safe language.

OK
Lets suppose I have a double precision number and that I want to reset
the sign bit without doing any expensive floating point operations.

How do I do that in Haskell?