Games

Stewart Gordon

Carl said:
I think if you link two versions of "main" into the same program you
might get problems.

Is the rule that main can't be overloaded an essential characteristic of
every C++ compiler for every platform?

The OP might find that writing using only standard C++ is worthwhile,
but it does rather limit the type of games possible (e.g. Hammurabi,
Nim, Chess, text adventures).

And ASCII art adventures. Of course you'd need some kind of ASCII art
to draw chess pieces just the same, and as for colouring ... are we
allowing ANSI.SYS formatting codes to be used?

FTM, does the most recent standard C++ have access to Unicode? And does
Unicode have chess pieces anywhere in it?
For action games you would want at least timing functions (e.g.
sleep),

If you want the speed to be regulated properly, you'd need a timer that
runs in the background at the least.

Just had a look. £215 for one GBA cartridge? I wonder how much the
pre-recorded ones cost the developers, and where one gets that kind from.
<snip>

This is silly - in order to vote in their opinion poll, you need to be
registered with the site, and in order to register with the site, you
need to have bought and registered an SN product.

And why is there no mention in the poll of support for a standard kind
of removable storage media?

FTM, does anyone have any ideas on what Microsoft decided was
sufficiently wrong with floppy disks, Zip disks, CD-Rs, CD-RWs or USB
flash drives to justify inventing an alternative 1-3 orders of magnitude
more expensive?

Stewart.

Alexander Terekhov

Default said:
I'm just sad because you took the time to slam Victor's reply but didn't
do the same for mine. I don't think you like me anymore.

You were too late. I was working on that subject only between 22:00 and
23:00 (+02:00).

regards,
alexander.

Carl Muller

Stewart Gordon said:
Carl Muller wrote:

Is the rule that main can't be overloaded an essential characteristic of
every C++ compiler for every platform?

It's a C rule. I'm not sure about "embedded" C++.
The platform libraries generally allow C programs to be run
(as well as C++) so main is typically not name-mangled.
You can't overload on a return value in C++ anyway.
The GBA doesn't exactly have a command line to get command-line
arguments
from (although that might be useful for development, if emulators
passed
a command-line to the user code but on final hardware it was empty).

Of course you'd need some kind of ASCII art
to draw chess pieces just the same, and as for colouring ... are we
allowing ANSI.SYS formatting codes to be used?

No need, just use K or k for king etc. and enter moves like newspapers
show them. I don't think the colour formatting or cursor movement
escape codes
are very standard.
FTM, does the most recent standard C++ have access to Unicode? And does
Unicode have chess pieces anywhere in it?

Unicode does have chess pieces in them, from U+2654 but it would be a
brave person who used them on a console-mode application (or on usenet
but here goes)
♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
♙♙♙♙♙♙♙♙

hehehe.
If you want the speed to be regulated properly, you'd need a timer that
runs in the background at the least.

Or run games where the sleep(10) dominates the run-time.

Carl.

Thomas Matthews

Grandpa Matthews has spoken. Sonny!

Let's see, the formula goes: The larger the size of the .sig file the
smaller the size of one's "data member." It's obvious Grandma
Matthews is quite unsatisfied, therefore Grandpa is grumpy and
utterly humorless.

.sig file! .sig file! .sig file! (As Grandpa tries to goose-step.)

Not a grandpa yet.

However, I am flattered that you consider me high up in the
ranks enough to lampoon me. You just don't pick on anybody,
so I must be special. I'm up in the ranks with Victor, and Ron.
Wow, a promotion!

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Thomas Matthews

Alexander,

I'm glad that you hold me in such high esteem
as to honor me with you contentless destructive
replies. I now feel that I am high up in the
ranks with Ron Natalie, Victor and Brian.

Thanks for the promotion.

Perhaps I may even be promoted to Philip's rank.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

Alexander Terekhov

Thomas Matthews wrote:
[...]
Not a grandpa yet. [...]
I'm up in the ranks with Victor, and Ron.

But Bazarov has 5 small kids and Ron IS grandpa.

Right, Ron? ;-)

regards,
alexander.

--
"We don't respect Victor Bazarov because he is a nice guy.
For all we know, he could be just as evil as Vallon says

-- E. Robert Tisdale

Default User

Alexander said:
You were too late. I was working on that subject only between 22:00 and
23:00 (+02:00).

Doh! Missed it by *that* much.

I think you could have cut me some slack after all we've meant to each
other.

Brian Rodenborn

Ioannis Vranos

Alexander Terekhov said:
Thomas Matthews wrote:
[...]
Not a grandpa yet. [...]
I'm up in the ranks with Victor, and Ron.

But Bazarov has 5 small kids and Ron IS grandpa.

Right, Ron? ;-)

In an effort to help Thomas, Ioannis appears suddenly and with an anti-troll
spray sprays directly on Alexander and Justboo.

--
Ioannis

* Programming pages: http://www.noicys.freeurl.com
* Alternative URL 1: http://run.to/noicys
* Alternative URL 2: http://www.noicys.cjb.net

Alexander Terekhov

Ioannis Vranos wrote:
[...]
In an effort to help Thomas, Ioannis appears suddenly and with an anti-troll
spray sprays directly on Alexander and Justboo.

Q: I wanna get promoted, but I don't know how. How, Noddy?

A: Appear suddenly with an anti-troll spray and dispense it
directly on Alexander and JustBoo.

regards,
alexander.

JustBoo

FTM, does anyone have any ideas on what Microsoft decided was
sufficiently wrong with floppy disks, Zip disks, CD-Rs, CD-RWs or USB
flash drives to justify inventing an alternative 1-3 orders of magnitude
more expensive?

GREED.

Behind every great fortune there is a crime.
- Honore de Balzac (1799-1850)

Get your stinking advertisement off my post you striped bastards!