Verilog and VHDL are great RTL languages.

From: Gary Smith <gary=user domain=garysmitheda got calm>

Hi, John,

A little history for those that aren't into language development. VHDL
is a superior RTL language over Verilog. FORTRAN and Ada are superior
parallel languages over C and the multiple C variants. The point is
that unless there is a major revolt among Embedded Programmers we are
stuck with C and SystemC. Catapult C, coming from the C side, and
Forte, coming from the SystemC side, have done the best job of meeting
design engineers demands based on inferior languages. Just as Design
Compiler did for the RTL engineers.

We've done a lot of ESL based tape outs over the last eight years.
Saying that Catapult C is a failure is like saying Design Compiler was a
failure in 1994. It ain't perfect but it's the best we've got; and it's
improving every year.

Don't blame the tools, blame the language.

- Gary Smith
Gary Smith EDA Santa Clara, CA