gcc in MinGW. vi editor?

W. eWatson

I'm using gcc, but, when I try to use vi, the vi screen fill the entire
MinGW window, and I can do nothing with the menus. To get out, I use
Ctrl-C, but that knock down the MinGW window.

I use jEdit, and sneak the c-code into the linux side of MinGW through
Win7. I can do the transfer of the file in about 2 minutes, but having
an editor in Linux would be better.

Bernd Nawothnig

I'm using gcc, but, when I try to use vi, the vi screen fill the entire
MinGW window, and I can do nothing with the menus. To get out, I use
Ctrl-C, but that knock down the MinGW window.

<Esc>:q!<Enter>

That's the only thing you must know about vi ;-)

Try Emacs, jed or joe instead.
I use jEdit, and sneak the c-code into the linux side of MinGW through
Win7. I can do the transfer of the file in about 2 minutes, but having
an editor in Linux would be better.

MinGW is not Linux.

And why not using jEdit? You may also want to try Eclipse or Netbeans.

Bernd

James Kuyper

I'm using gcc, but, when I try to use vi, the vi screen fill the entire
MinGW window, and I can do nothing with the menus. To get out, I use
Ctrl-C, but that knock down the MinGW window.

The vi screen is supposed to fill the window. It doesn't use menus, but
typed commands. It's a clumsy interface, designed back before the use
of mice was commonplace. In order to enter text into your file, you have
to issue one of the commands that puts it into edit mode, and in order
to issue a command you have to hit the Esc key to escape back to command
mode. You can't make good use of vi until you've learned enough of the
commands, and I wouldn't recommend bothering to learn them. More modern
GUI editors are much easier to use. However, for those of us who have
learned its commands, vi is a very powerful editor - much more powerful
than most GUI editors.

Malcolm McLean

On 07/19/2013 12:05 AM, W. eWatson wrote:

More modern GUI editors are much easier to use. However, for those of
us who have learned its commands, vi is a very powerful editor - much
more powerful than most GUI editors.
Sometimes you need vi, for medium-sized embedded systems which implement
consoles, but usually don't have emacs, and, ironically enough, for
supercomputers, which also sometimes don't provide emacs or a gui.

Keith Thompson

Malcolm McLean said:
Sometimes you need vi, for medium-sized embedded systems which implement
consoles, but usually don't have emacs, and, ironically enough, for
supercomputers, which also sometimes don't provide emacs or a gui.

And some of us just happen to like vi, typically in its most popular
current incarnation vim. If you don't, that's fine, but it's a valid
choice. (And let's not start an editor war here.)

W. eWatson

<Esc>:q!<Enter>

That's the only thing you must know about vi ;-)

Try Emacs, jed or joe instead.

MinGW is not Linux.

And why not using jEdit? You may also want to try Eclipse or Netbeans.

Bernd
Fortunately, my wife uses vi and clued me into a few operations, and
loaned me her Learning vi Editor book. It's probably been 10 years since
I used it. Very strange looking back at it now.

luser- -droog

And some of us just happen to like vi, typically in its most popular

current incarnation vim. If you don't, that's fine, but it's a valid

choice. (And let's not start an editor war here.)

Why Not??! We can take 'em!

--
vi havoc
aand let loose the dogs of war