    I use jEdit, and sneak the c-code into the linux side of MinGW through
    Win7. I can do the transfer of the file in about 2 minutes, but having
    an editor in Linux would be better.

    W. eWatson, Jul 19, 2013

  2. <Esc>:q!<Enter>

    That's the only thing you must know about vi ;-)

    Try Emacs, jed or joe instead.
    MinGW is not Linux.

    And why not using jEdit? You may also want to try Eclipse or Netbeans.

    Bernd

    Bernd Nawothnig, Jul 19, 2013

  3. W. eWatson

    James Kuyper Guest

    The vi screen is supposed to fill the window. It doesn't use menus, but
    typed commands. It's a clumsy interface, designed back before the use
    of mice was commonplace. In order to enter text into your file, you have
    to issue one of the commands that puts it into edit mode, and in order
    to issue a command you have to hit the Esc key to escape back to command
    mode. You can't make good use of vi until you've learned enough of the
    commands, and I wouldn't recommend bothering to learn them. More modern
    GUI editors are much easier to use. However, for those of us who have
    learned its commands, vi is a very powerful editor - much more powerful
    than most GUI editors.

    James Kuyper, Jul 19, 2013
  4. Sometimes you need vi, for medium-sized embedded systems which implement
    consoles, but usually don't have emacs, and, ironically enough, for
    supercomputers, which also sometimes don't provide emacs or a gui.

    Malcolm McLean, Jul 20, 2013
  5. And some of us just happen to like vi, typically in its most popular
    current incarnation vim. If you don't, that's fine, but it's a valid
    choice. (And let's not start an editor war here.)

    Keith Thompson, Jul 20, 2013
  6. W. eWatson

    W. eWatson Guest

    Fortunately, my wife uses vi and clued me into a few operations, and
    loaned me her Learning vi Editor book. It's probably been 10 years since
    I used it. Very strange looking back at it now.

    W. eWatson, Jul 20, 2013
  7. Why Not??! We can take 'em!

    --
    vi havoc