Gem & extconf.rb command line options

Andreas Schwarz

Hello,

i want to build a gem for an extension that needs to be configured with
"--with-opt-dir=/sw" on my system. How can I tell the gem installer that
I want to call extconf with this option?

Thanks Andreas

Richard Kilmer

I believe...if memory serves...that you can do:

If your gem is remote (on 0.7.0):

gem install whatevergem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

If your gem is local (on 0.7.0):

gem install whatever.gem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

If you have a prior version of rubygems use:

gem --install (options above)

Instead of gem install.

This used to work...and unfortunately I am not at a place to test it...let
me know if it works.

-rich

Lyle Johnson

This used to work...and unfortunately I am not at a place to test it...let
me know if it works.

I can't test it at the moment, either, but if memory serves doesn't he
also need the "--force" option in there somewhere, maybe "gem install
foo.gem --force -- --with-opt-dir=/sw"?

Andreas Schwarz

Richard said:
I believe...if memory serves...that you can do:

If your gem is remote (on 0.7.0):

gem install whatevergem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

If your gem is local (on 0.7.0):

gem install whatever.gem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

Doesn't work with 0.7.0:
ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::CommandLineError)
Too many gem names (dbd-sqlite-0.1.0.gem, --with-opt-dir=/sw/);
please specify only one

Richard Kilmer

This must, unfortunately be broken in 0.7.0...i am sorry about that.

We will get on it and let you know...

-rich