    "--with-opt-dir=/sw" on my system. How can I tell the gem installer that
    I want to call extconf with this option?

    Thanks Andreas

    Andreas Schwarz, Jul 12, 2004

  2. I believe...if memory serves...that you can do:

    If your gem is remote (on 0.7.0):

    gem install whatevergem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

    If your gem is local (on 0.7.0):

    gem install whatever.gem -- --with-opt-dir=/sw

    If you have a prior version of rubygems use:

    gem --install (options above)

    Instead of gem install.

    This used to work...and unfortunately I am not at a place to test it...let
    me know if it works.

    -rich

    Richard Kilmer, Jul 12, 2004

  3. Andreas Schwarz

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    I can't test it at the moment, either, but if memory serves doesn't he
    also need the "--force" option in there somewhere, maybe "gem install
    foo.gem --force -- --with-opt-dir=/sw"?

    Lyle Johnson, Jul 12, 2004
  4. Doesn't work with 0.7.0:
    ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::CommandLineError)
    Too many gem names (dbd-sqlite-0.1.0.gem, --with-opt-dir=/sw/);
    please specify only one

    Andreas Schwarz, Jul 12, 2004
  5. This must, unfortunately be broken in 0.7.0...i am sorry about that.

    We will get on it and let you know...

    -rich

    Richard Kilmer, Jul 12, 2004