general Wiki format question and Python Wiki markup parsing libraries

Discussion in 'Python' started by chris, May 16, 2004.

  1. chris

    chris Guest

    hi,
    i am looking for a way to structure the text in XML comments to produce
    a XHTML doc format for the XMLs (in this case XSLT).
    so is was thinking about using a wiki like text format. e.g. something like
    <!--
    !Headline

    some __bold__ text in a paragraph

    * a list
    * another item

    etc... (the markup used is only an example!)

    -->

    but it should be a widely used format that people do not need to learn
    yet another syntax.
    it will be used by people using XSLT so it should not be language (py,
    perl, java, ...) specific.

    is there something like a "standard" wiki format at all, or at least one
    that is widely used?
    in my company we use a jspwiki which e.g. uses !, !! and !!! for
    headlines, __bold__ and * list markup (like the example above). is this
    more or less a standard as this is the only wiki i've used yet?

    i was googling for python libraries which would parse a wiki text format
    to xhtml but could not find something really useful.

    is there a python library to parse these text formats? i was looking a
    bit into reStructuredText but was wondering if this is generally used or
    maybe is too Python specific.

    any hint would be great
    thanks
    chris

    chris, May 16, 2004

  2. chris

    Jarek Zgoda Guest

    Don't think so. I saw more than 10 "simplified markups", of which nearly
    all was more complicated than original HTML. I wanted something like
    this in my JPA, so I added possibility to use Mark Pilgrim's Python
    implementation of Dean Allen's Textile (originally implemented in PHP,
    Perl version also exists), but Textile is really "simplified", its
    capabilities are rather limited. Go to http://diveintomark.org/ and
    check if PyTextile will suit your needs.

    Jarek Zgoda, May 16, 2004

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    thanks for the hint. PyTextile is almost too much already and i agree
    almost as "complex" as HTML. something simpler like a wiki syntax would
    be much better...

    chris

    chris, May 16, 2004
  4. chris

    John Roth Guest

    Well, I think the "simplified" seems to be a tradeoff in
    terms of fewer keystrokes, rather than any conceptual
    simplicity. If you really want to simplify things, please come
    up with a little WISIWIG editor rather than yet more
    line noise.

    John Roth

    John Roth, May 16, 2004
  5. chris