Generating XML Schemas from RDF

Richard Smith

I have a data model that's currently defined using RDF components across
a number of separate XML namespaces, some of which are created by
third-party. I'd like to serialise this data model into XML. I had
initially planned to use the standard RDF/XML serialisation, but there
are political reason why that isn't acceptable. Basically, enough key
people in the project think the RDF/XML serialisation is too ugly,
verbose, and overuses namespaces. I don't agree with that view,
although I do have some sympathy for it. So what I'm now proposing is
to produce my own XML format, defined using XML Schema, and with a GRDDL
transformation linked from the schema so that users who need RDF can
convert it to RDF/XML.

But now I effectively have three definitions of the data model: one in
distributed in various RDF schemas and OWL ontologies, one in my XML
schema, and one implicit in the XSLT I will have written for the GRDDL
transformation. I anticipate my data model evolving quite rapidly as
new RDF components are pulled in, and as I change my mind out the ones
currently there. It therefore seems highly likely that the three
versions will get out of sync. And in any case, it just seems wrong to
have it in three places.

It seems to me that all I really should need is a list of the RDF
classes and predicates I'm using in my data model, a bit of policy on
what my XML format should look like, and then use these to generate the
GDDRL XSLT and the XML schema automatically. I can't believe I'm the
first person to think of this, but equally I an internet search doesn't
turn anything up. Is anyone aware of a technology that does this?

Richard