getting away from frames

Ike

I have a set of pages that are loaded from a navigation frame. In short, my
page has a frame with 5 links on it, that load one of 5 pages in the other
frame.

I need to get away from this. Mostly because there is interactive content
(applets, etc.) running some of those 5 pages, and when the user returns to
that page, via a link in the navigation frame, the page reloads, and
everything must be started anew for that page.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can accomplis this, without much altering
the look of what I am doing? Could I perhaps accomodate that with something
along the lines of document.poppedLayer ? Would that require that I merge
all 5 pages into 1 ? Does anyone have any good ideas how I can accomplish
getting rid of these frames such that all 5 pages can be 'running'
simultaneously, and just a click away for the user?

Thank you for your thoughts, Ike

Richard

Ike said:
[...]

Time to learn about the CSS world.
What you want to do can easily be done with CSS and divisions.
You can have all of your formerly framed pages all on one page and show only
what you need according to the link.
Thus your applets will run concurrently in the background as needed.

Gerry White - use my name at dergal dot come for e

Richard said:
Time to learn about the CSS world.
What you want to do can easily be done with CSS and divisions.
You can have all of your formerly framed pages all on one page and show only
what you need according to the link.
Thus your applets will run concurrently in the background as needed.

I have to be honest, I think that most applets look much worse than Flash
etc...

The other thing to look at is Includes (serverside includes) but for that
you will need ASP / PHP / SHTML or something similair...

Gerry

McKirahan

Ike said:
[...]

Identify each of the frame pages;
perhaps they're something like:
index.htm
frame1.htm
frame2.htm
frame3.htm
frame4.htm
frame5.htm
where "index.htm" is the frameset.

Just rename "index.htm" to "index_frame.htm" (i.e. obsolete)
and "frame1.htm" to "index.htm"
then add the following to the bottom of each page:

Of course the names and labels will change but you get the idea.

Ike

I dont think this keeps all five pages resident though throughout the life
of the session, does it? Ike

McKirahan

Ike said:
I dont think this keeps all five pages resident though throughout the life
of the session, does it? Ike

Is the frames version available for review so we can "see" the issues?

My "solution" just focused on eliminating frames not maintaining state;
sorry.

Ike

yes, but it would require a login unfortunately, and I dont have
authroization on that. I think I have to stick with frames though,
regardless, as some of the frames, which are really php pages, use forms,
and call other pages. I dont see any way of recobbling this to use divs and
css.

Now...if I can resize frames on the fly, Ive got this licked. -Ike