Getting Fatal error while compiling Perl 5 10

sridharanandaraj

While trying to install PERL 5 10 , have got the following errors.

## Error Reoprt

make: Warning: Both `makefile' and `Makefile' exist
`sh cflags "optimize='-O'" miniperlmain.o` miniperlmain.c
CCCMD = gcc -DPERL_CORE -c -fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/usr/local/
include -mcpu=v9 -m64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -O -
Wall -W
sh: gcc: not found
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `miniperlmain.o'

sridharanandaraj

You don't have gcc installed.

//Makholm

Thanks for the information Makholm.

As we are trying to install Perl 5.10, we have faced this fatal error
problem due to gcc compiler unavailabilty. also we dont have the
installer file for Perl 5.10, we have moved our view to install Perl
5.8.8. For that we have downloaded both the source code file and the
installer file "perl-5.8.8-sol10-sparc-local.gz " from sunfree ware.

for the first step of installing 5.8.8 we have gunzipped this file and
went for pkgadd command. But its asking for the root permission. As we
took a backup copy of all the data and the code we went for this
second option.

The current version we are using is perl 5.6 (32 bit copiler)and the
reason which we are trying to install is like we got a problem of
processing / validating files size which is large. As the loading of
the hashes into the memory is the problem we are looking for a 64 bit
compiler.

Suggest us what shall we proceed further to fullfill our requirement.

Appreciate your great help in this regard.

Sridhar Anandaraj