Getting line numbers for exceptions when the web site is published

Rahul

Hi,

Is there a way to get the line numbers to display in the exception when you
have published your web site?

Thanks
Rahul

Peter Bradley

I assume you don't want your users to see line numbers. That would not be a
very good idea.

So, assuming you've arranged to catch all exceptions, and assuming you've
published a deployment configuration, then I imagine that the best you could
do would be to write a stack trace to a log and display a user-friendly
message on the page. As far as I know, a deployment version of a project
will not have the debugging information available to provide a line number.

I could very well be wrong, though. Someone will correct me if I am.

Anyway, why are you publishing projects that still have bugs?

:eek:)

Peter

Rahul

We have got instrumentation in place that logs the message to MSMQ and then
a seperate app insertes that into our instrumentation database. When an
exception happens we get all the information but the line numbers. It would
be really helpful to get the line numbers.

As for the project being deployed when their are bugs... Our application is
very stable but on and off there are some exceptions that get thrown. I just
want more information from the exception.

Thanks
Rahul

Peter Bradley

Sorry Rahul. I thought the smiley would indicate I was just pulling your
leg over the bugs issue. Apologies if you thought I was serious.

I see that no-one has corrected the opinion about line numbers, though.

Peter