Getting time in milliseconds

Michael Wojcik

There should be one blank line between every level of quotation.

The Usenet Best Practices draft recommends otherwise (following a
similar recommendation from Son of 1036), on the grounds that those
blank lines interfere with reader features to "skip to the end of
quoted text" - a facility introduced in rn, I believe, and thus of
long standing.

UBP recommends that even empty lines in quoted text begin with the
quote-marker character (usually ">").

Joona I Palaste

The Usenet Best Practices draft recommends otherwise (following a
similar recommendation from Son of 1036), on the grounds that those
blank lines interfere with reader features to "skip to the end of
quoted text" - a facility introduced in rn, I believe, and thus of
long standing.
UBP recommends that even empty lines in quoted text begin with the
quote-marker character (usually ">").

That may well be, but as I said, if there are no blank lines between
levels of quotation, I find it difficult to distinguish between the
levels. Particularly if someone adds very short comments between very
long quotes, those comments appear as part of the quotes to my eyes.
The Usenet Best Practices draft can recommend what it pleases, but it
can't and won't change how my brain works at a non-conscious level.

Thomas Stegen

Joona said:
That may well be, but as I said, if there are no blank lines between
levels of quotation, I find it difficult to distinguish between the
levels. Particularly if someone adds very short comments between very
long quotes, those comments appear as part of the quotes to my eyes.
The Usenet Best Practices draft can recommend what it pleases, but it
can't and won't change how my brain works at a non-conscious level.

Just to make my voice heard, I agree with Joona.

Dan Pop

The Usenet Best Practices draft recommends otherwise (following a
similar recommendation from Son of 1036), on the grounds that those
blank lines interfere with reader features to "skip to the end of
quoted text" - a facility introduced in rn, I believe, and thus of
long standing.

UBP recommends that even empty lines in quoted text begin with the
quote-marker character (usually ">").

Agreed, but they still do count as logically blank lines, whose only
purpose is improving the text readability.

Dan

Michael Wojcik

Just to make my voice heard, I agree with Joona.

"Usenet Best Practices" is open for comment. The IETF commenting
process is well documented; see www.ietf.org. Those who care about
this sort of thing might wish to investigate it, since that would be
the ideal way to affect any RFC that develops from this draft.

Personally, I find lines containing only a quote marker (or even
multiple levels of quote markers) are adequate as vertical white-
space for my reading, which is why UBP's recommendations don't worry
me. On the other hand, since I haven't used "skip quoted material"
in recent years (I'm not even sure if xrn provides it, come to think
of it), I don't have any great affection for this recommendation,
either. I was just noting what UBP says, since it has some chance of
becoming a standard (or, at any rate, an endorsed recommendation).

--
Michael Wojcik (e-mail address removed)

Reversible CA's are -automorphisms- on shift spaces. It is a notorious
fact in symbolic dynamics that describing such things on a shift of finite
type are -fiendishly- difficult. -- Chris Hillman

Charlie Gordon

Richard Bos said:
Not in ISO C, there isn't.

That's not what he asked for.

Now please answer the question for the Sinclair QL. And then for my
microwave controller.

You are so obnoxiously off topic here !

Chqrlie

Michael Wojcik

You are so obnoxiously off topic here !

Richard's not off-topic. He's pointing out that Ranjeet's answer is
non-standard and not useful for some conforming C implementations.
That's entirely on-topic for comp.lang.c.