Good/Recent book on Javascript

Ben Amada

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a book on javascript for beginners although I do
have a programming background. I've seen some suggestions for "JavaScript:
The Definitive Guide", but the latest edition (4th edition) was published in
Dec. 2001. I'm a little concerned that it may be somewhat out of date??
Amazon also ranks "JavaScript & DHTML Cookbook" fairly high on it's list of
javascript books.

Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!
Ben

Douglas Crockford

I'm looking to purchase a book on javascript for beginners although I do
have a programming background. I've seen some suggestions for "JavaScript:
The Definitive Guide", but the latest edition (4th edition) was published in
Dec. 2001. I'm a little concerned that it may be somewhat out of date??
Amazon also ranks "JavaScript & DHTML Cookbook" fairly high on it's list of
javascript books.

Fortunately, there has been little innovation in the browser world
lately. Things have gotten more stable. Things will change when IE 7
comes out, but for now, all is right with the world. The Defnitive Guide
is still the best available.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596000480/wrrrldwideweb

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <HoVyd.1321$CH5.3@fed1read01>, dated Fri, 24 Dec 2004
07:09:38, seen in Ben Amada
I'm looking to purchase a book on javascript for beginners although I do
have a programming background. I've seen some suggestions for "JavaScript:
The Definitive Guide", but the latest edition (4th edition) was published in
Dec. 2001. I'm a little concerned that it may be somewhat out of date??
Amazon also ranks "JavaScript & DHTML Cookbook" fairly high on it's list of
javascript books.

Since javascript for the Web is executed on all sorts of browsers, there
is much to be said for using a book that is about three years old and
not an early edition.

If you are programming foe execution in WSH on your local machines, (a)
that does not apply, (b) you should have said so.

Did you consult the newsgroup FAQ?

Jim Ley

Since javascript for the Web is executed on all sorts of browsers, there
is much to be said for using a book that is about three years old and
not an early edition.

Not really, as it by definition cannot include recent browsers, since
there are browsers which have had their entire script implementation
built within the last 3 years, these old books aren't relevant to
those situations. Sure they may perhaps give good coverage of old
browsers, but the conclusions may no longer be valid, I certainly
wouldn't want to trust one. Especially when I know just how bad the
books of that era were.

Jim.

Ben Amada

Dr John Stockton said:
If you are programming foe execution in WSH on your local machines, (a)
that does not apply, (b) you should have said so.

No, I'm not doing anything with WSH.
Did you consult the newsgroup FAQ?

No, I didn't know about it. But I've now looked over the whole thing and
see some really useful snippets of JS in it. Thanks for referring me to it!

.... and thanks for your input!
Ben