Google Analytics-like code snippet?

Oltmans

Hi,

I'm still learning stuff and was just wondering how can I let other
people put some function of my JavaScript on their website so that I
can gather information from their website. Here is what I was looking
at
--
<script type="text/javascript">
var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://

<script type="text/javascript">
var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-3358728-1");
pageTracker._initData();
pageTracker._trackPageview();
</script>
--

This is the code that I've to put into my website so that I can use
Google Analytics, how can I go about creating the same thing in

Please enlighten me, I will really appreciate any replies.

Thanks and have a great day,
Rolf

Jeremy J Starcher

Hi,

I'm still learning stuff and was just wondering how can I let other
people put some function of my JavaScript on their website so that I can
gather information from their website. Here is what I was looking at

[code itself snipped]
This is the code that I've to put into my website so that I can use
Google Analytics, how can I go about creating the same thing in
JavaScript?

This part of the question, I don't follow. How do you create in
Javascript what you already have in Javascript?

As I understand above code, and I could be flat-out wrong, is that
document.write statement in above code snippet is adding a script named
'ga.js' to my website

Almost, but not exactly.
It is loading a script FROM either

https://ssl.google-analytics.com/ga.js
- or -
http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js

and that script contains an object _gat that
contains other functions. Is my understanding right?

That is right.
Moreover, what does the unescape thing doing in the above code?

Google, as almost always, is your friend.
http://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_escape.asp

Can the above approach be improved?

Some folks would claim that removing it would be an improvement.
Google Analytics has some known issues. Searching the archives here
wouldn't be amiss.

Please enlighten me, I will really appreciate any replies.

Consider your self replied ;)