    When I press the delete button, the RowCommand event is not firing! and
    neither is the RowDeleting (the button's commandName is "Delete")
    Any idea why?

    Kevin Attard, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Kevin Attard

    Guest Guest

    The order that event handlers execute can cause this kind of problem. Why are
    you setting the command argument of the delete button in the RowDataBound
    event, why not just declare it in the markup? Try that and see if the
    RowCommand event fires.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Kevin Attard

    Kevin Attard Guest

    I've tried it but it still wont fire the event.
    Here is the code:

    SetLinkedTable(GetSource())
    }

    private void SetLinkedTable(DataTable source)
    {
    gvLinkedTable = (GridView)skin.FindControl("gvLinkedTable");
    AttachEvents();
    gvLinkedTable.DataSource = source;
    gvLinkedTable.DataBind();
    this.Controls.Add(skin);
    }

    private void AttachEvents()
    {
    gvLinkedTable.RowCommand +=new
    GridViewCommandEventHandler(gvLinkedTable_RowCommand);
    gvLinkedTable.RowDataBound += new
    GridViewRowEventHandler(gvLinkedTable_RowDataBound);
    }

    private void gvLinkedTable_RowCommand(object sender,
    GridViewCommandEventArgs e)
    {
    if (e.CommandName == "Delete")
    {
    int pk = Convert.ToInt32(e.CommandArgument);
    DeleteItem(pk);
    SetLinkedTable(dt);

    Kevin Attard, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Kevin Attard

    Guest Guest

    Again i think you are coming up against an order events fire type problem,
    you are hooking up your GridView event handlers programatically in the
    PageLoad event, how do you know that the PageLoad event fires before the
    RowCommand event, if the RowCommand event fires before the PageLoad event
    then the event has already happened before you even wire up the event handler.

    Again i can't see any good reason for hooking up your event handlers
    programatically from your code, the reason you do that usually is if the
    control to which you are hooking up the event handlers has also been created
    programatically. If you are creating the GridView declaritively in the mark
    up then also wire up your event handlers like this.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2006
  5. Kevin Attard

    Riki Guest

    Do not databind on postback.
    Use a construct like:
    If(Not Page.IsPostback) Then
    GridView1.DataBind()
    End If

    If you databind again on postback, the event handling of child buttons is
    broken.

    Riki, Aug 8, 2006
  6. Kevin Attard

    Kevin Attard Guest

    The reason of wiring the events at runtime is because I am creating a
    dynamic form from the database. Controls are created depending on the data
    of the database.

    Sorry, the code should have been like this: I'm using the constructor not
    the pageload event

    public myUserControl()
    {
    SetLinkedTable(GetSource())
    }

    This constructor is called in the overidden method CreateChildControls() of
    another usercontrol
    ( the form creator usercontrol)

    Kevin Attard, Aug 8, 2006
  7. Kevin Attard

    Kevin Attard Guest

    I've eliminated the databinding on each postback as you suggested. When the
    delete button is pressed, the RowCommand does not fire and when the page
    loads, the gridview displays empty rows! So if I don't bind with every
    postback, the data is lost. When Ive tried to press the button the second
    time, the event is fired! Why is the event not firing on the first load but
    only on the second?

    Kevin Attard, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Kevin Attard

    johnvbrennan

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Anyone find solution to this issue? Also having datagrid binding issue with dynamic controls/rows.

    Cheers
    John

    johnvbrennan, Jun 1, 2007
  9. Kevin Attard

    Lawrence Mucheka

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    RowCommand event not firing

    Try to assign the Command argument value in the RowCreated event handler instead of the RowDataBound and make sure ViewState is enabled.:loo:

    Lawrence Mucheka, May 29, 2008