GridView update problem

SAL

Hello,
I have a Gridview control (.net 2.0) that I'm having trouble getting the
Update button to fire any kind of event or preforming the update. The
datatable is based on a join so I don't know if that's what's causing the
behavior or not. It seems like the Update button should at least do
something.
When the Edit button is clicked, the grid goes into Edit mode and the Cancel
button takes the grid out of Edit mode. So, I don't get what the trick is
here.
I've enabled adding records via the FooterRow.
The reason I'm using a join is to allow sorting on the joined in field. I
know that I could drop kick the join, add in a template field and then
populate it during RowDataBound but then the sort won't work...

Any ideas?

Thanks
SAL

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi SAL,

From your description, you're encountering some problem to get the update
function in GridView to work, correct?

As for the Updating not work, do you means if you click "Update" button,
the page doesn't postback or the page does postback but the database
updating commands are not taking effect?

Also, how do you implement the edit/update in GridView, are you directly
use SqlDataSource's two-way databinding to automatically perform update or
you manually use code to update the database (when updating event fires)?
Generally, for such issue, I would first register the "RowUpdating" event
of the Gridview(ensure it get fired) and then check all the parameters (via
the event Argument parameter) to see whether the column data user entered
have been supplied correctly in the parameter collection:

===================
protected void GridView1_RowUpdating(object sender,
GridViewUpdateEventArgs e)
{
//e.Keys;
//e.NewValues;
// e.OldValues;
======================

If there is anything I omit, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

SAL

Hi Steven. As far as I can tell, it's not even doing a postback. If an event
was firing, I could at least manually update the record. It would be nice to
have it update itself however via two-way binding.

I've implemented two way binding via an objectdatasource which is bound to a
business object and the business object is using a table adapter that was
created using the designer.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply SAL,

That seems unexpected since the postback should work as long as the update
button is put correctly(via edit/update command field). Is it reproable via
some simplified data source? You can send me a simplified copy so that I
can also test it on my side. My email is

"stcheng" + @ + "microsoft.com"

Subject: Re: GridView update problem
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 09:52:04 -0700
Hi Steven. As far as I can tell, it's not even doing a postback. If an event
was firing, I could at least manually update the record. It would be nice to
have it update itself however via two-way binding.

I've implemented two way binding via an objectdatasource which is bound to

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi SAL,

I've received your email and performed some tests on the page you provided.

It seems you have many different code logic on the GridView+ ODataSource
editing/updating. I haven't looked deep into the database layer and after
some testing at the page/gridview layer, I found the following problems:

1. You have added some button and textbox in the GridView's Footer(of some
template fields) so as for inserting some records. However, since the
Textbox in insert template has requiredFieldValidator associated, when you
try editing/updating and submit update, the validation of the Insert
textbox will prevent it from postback the page. To address the problem, I
have used the following means:

#for TextBox, Validator and button in FooterTemplate, I set a separate
"ValidationGroup" for them so that they'll not affect the edit/update of
Gridview
==========
<asp:TextBox ID="txtDbsId"
...................ValidationGroup="Insert_Group"></asp:TextBox>

<asp:RequiredFieldValidator
ID="RequiredFieldValidator1".....................

ValidationGroup="Insert_Group">*</asp:RequiredFieldValidator>

<asp:Button ID="btnAdd" runat="server" Text="Add" CommandName="Insert"
EnableViewState="False"
ValidationGroup="Insert_Group" />
============================

After that, the page can be submit correctly when we hit "update" button in
edit mode.

2. When the page postback to server-side, the Server-side validation
function will also query database to validate some input values. I'm not
sure the actual database schema and code logic, but you also need to check
this since if this fails, the updating event will not be reached.

3. You have registered the "RowUpdating" event, however, you've also add
the following code in "Rowcommand" event:

+===========

'ElseIf e.CommandName = "Update" AndAlso Page.IsValid Then
' dsGISLayers.Update()
'End If
===================

If you want to manually do the updating, you only need the "RowUpdating"
event and you can get all the parameters from the parameters collection and
do your own ADO.NET code, after that call e.Cancel=True so as to prevent
the built-in updating code logic:

====================
Protected Sub gvGISLayerEdit_RowUpdating(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e
As System.Web.UI.WebControls.GridViewUpdateEventArgs) Handles
gvGISLayerEdit.RowUpdating

Response.Write("<br/>gvGISLayerEdit_RowUpdating")

'get parameters from e.NewValues , e.OldValues, e.RowIndex
' and all TableAdapter to update

e.Cancel = True

End Sub
===================

Simply call ObjectDataSource.Update will not take effect since you haven't
registered its "Updating" event and supply the necessary parameters for it.

BTW, for ASP.NET data accesing, you can refer to some good examples and
tutorial from the following site:

http://www.asp.net/learn/data-access/

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:31:34 -0700

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi SAL,

How are you doing?

have you got any progress on this issue or does the information I provided
in last message help you some? If there is anything else need help, please
feel free to post here.

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:01:11 GMT
[...]

I created a sample test project per your instructions and e-mailed it to
you. I have been waiting on you to check that code out and reply to me
directly I thought. Maybe not though. Did you not recieve the sample
project?

Steven Cheng said:
Hi SAL,

How are you doing?

have you got any progress on this issue or does the information I provided
in last message help you some? If there is anything else need help, please
feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.

--------------------
even Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 06:01:11 GMT
[...]

Okay, I got your reply now. For some reason it didn't show up when I opened
up outlook express.

I'm doing the updating manually now and took out the code from rowcommand.

I made the changes you suggested for the ValidationGroup and the Update
button is now posting back.

I didn't quite understand what you were saying in #2 below however.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your reply SAL,

I'm glad that the you got the email. For the #2 point you mentioned:

I just mean the Validation event of your validator control. Since you use
server-side validation, you need to make sure that the validation doesn't
work correctly and sometimes if the validation fails or not work correctly,
that may also prevent the other sequential postback event(such as Gridview
updating) work.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

--------------------

SAL

Okay.

Thanks so much for you support.

SAL

Steven Cheng said:
Thanks for your reply SAL,

I'm glad that the you got the email. For the #2 point you mentioned:

I just mean the Validation event of your validator control. Since you use
server-side validation, you need to make sure that the validation doesn't
work correctly and sometimes if the validation fails or not work
correctly,
that may also prevent the other sequential postback event(such as Gridview
updating) work.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

rights.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

You're welcome.

If you need any further help on this later, please feel free to let me know.

From: "SAL" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 10:39:42 -0700