Gui toolkit for scientific/technical apps?

Junpei

I need recommendations for a scientific app I'm making, here's what i
need, in order of importance
1) Strong/Complete 2d/3d plotting widgets for both data and functions
2) Realtime 2d-plotting
3) cross platform across X and win32
4) free/cheap
5) minimalistic

I've used wxWindows for non-technical programs and thought it was
pretty good, but the built in plot widget (wxPlotWindow) sucks. Qt
seems to have 1-3 but the the licensing fees scares me. are there any
less-famous toolkits I should be looking at?

thanks,

Phlip

Junpei said:
I need recommendations for a scientific app I'm making, here's what i
need, in order of importance
1) Strong/Complete 2d/3d plotting widgets for both data and functions
2) Realtime 2d-plotting
3) cross platform across X and win32
4) free/cheap
5) minimalistic

I've used wxWindows for non-technical programs and thought it was
pretty good, but the built in plot widget (wxPlotWindow) sucks. Qt
seems to have 1-3 but the the licensing fees scares me. are there any
less-famous toolkits I should be looking at?

* VTK - visualization toolkit, with bindings for C++ and Python

* Cern Root - weird but endlessly featurized & introspective

http://root.cern.ch

Some assembly required, but it provides many end-user features by default.

* This is a cheap Mathematica wannabe:

http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?SciLab

* And there's always GnuPlot.

* There's also BLT, with a good Python wrapper. It comes with Python
MegaWidgets.

BLT has the most programmable features and the fewest automatic end-user
features.

BTW what the f*** does this question have to do with the C++ programming
language? All those packages come with bindings for much easier languages.

one2001boy

Junpei said:
I need recommendations for a scientific app I'm making, here's what i
need, in order of importance
1) Strong/Complete 2d/3d plotting widgets for both data and functions
2) Realtime 2d-plotting
3) cross platform across X and win32
4) free/cheap
5) minimalistic

Have you tried C/C++ interpreter Ch?

It supports 2D/3D C++ plottings, C99 complex, and extentions with Matlab
or Mathematica like numerical features. It runs in Windows, Solaris,
HP-UX, Linux,
FreeBSD and Mac OS X. Free for academic use.

MOre at http://www.softintegration.com