Guidance needed from java gurus

new

Hello Java gurus,

Here is my background before my question. I was a chemist (master's in
Chemistry and worked about 2 years) before I studied Computer Science.
Due to health reasons (breast surgery - minor - and nasal condition, I
just made the grade).

It has been 2 1/2 years since graduation - I have been teaching
Chemistry part time at college but am not out of touch with programming
completely though no industrial experience or useful personal projects
because of situation sin my life.

Now I really want to get more skills in Java so that I can find a
Programmer Analysts job in Medicianl Chemistry called "Cheminformatics"
where the requirements says BS/MS in Chemistry or Computer Science"
with experience in java, web programming, jsp, Oracle.

Getting to use my chemistry knowledge as a programmer would be my dream
come true.

I really want to spend time doing projects to learned advanced level
java features. Can anyone guide me how to go about it? Say books where
I can follow step by step learning and do the assignments, etc. I'd
really appreciate it. What advanced topic I should cover? I wan
ttobget to the stage where I can install Apache server or Tomcat

Despite IT job disappearing, I want to try this because I know that I
will be excited to work and it won't be just to have an income.

I'd really appreciate any help on textbooks info (I have Deitel's How
to and Thinking in java 2nd ed), good tutorial sites, and other
sources. Should I take Sun Cerification exams? What book should I use
to prepare? I can't flunk since I can't afford to waste $ or time.

new

BTW, I also have

Aside from Java How to Program (6th Edition) (How to Program (Deitel))
by Harvey M. Deitel - I hate the way they go about hings on and on - I
also have

"Java : An Introduction to Problem Solving and Programming (4th
Edition) by Walter Savitch. I bought this for an online class I will be
taking in fall. I already finished chapter 3 which are basic stuff .

BTW, I am very familiar wihtt he fundmentals f programming, control
structure, loops, methds.

Chris Uppal

new said:
BTW, I am very familiar wihtt he fundmentals f programming, control
structure, loops, methds.

It sounds as if you have (or are planning to get) more than enough books. I
urge you to get programming!

More precisely, I urge you to spend as much time writing programs (which don't
have to have anything to do with Web technologies unless you are personally
fascinated by them) as you can. Get used to designing classes and creating
objects which do something interesting (to you).

/Then/ you can start on web technologies with a proper grounding in Java
programming under your belt already.

-- chris

new

Chris said:
It sounds as if you have (or are planning to get) more than enough books.
I was concern about the books I have - thinking in Java - being out of
date. I happened to have latest Deitel book but I don't like to read
that book. Savitch's book is just intro and so felt that I needed more.

I urge you to get programming!

Yes, I need to do just that.

More precisely, I urge you to spend as much time writing programs (which don't
have to have anything to do with Web technologies

Thanks for the guidance.
unless you are personally fascinated by them) as you can.
Get used to designing classes and creating objects which do something interesting (to you).

/Then/ you can start on web technologies with a proper grounding in Java
programming under your belt already.

Yes, proper grounding is what I want. Right now, I have bit's of
knowledge of a lot of things in my head - at school, I took DBMS, Web
Database developement, UML, and other SWEN clasess; exposed to many
different things but not knowing anything confidently well.

Now that my health is okay - just feel old after losing so much time:)-
I want to get going with this as fast as possible.

I am thinking that Getting Java Certification (for progremmer) no later
than by the end of this year might be the way to comepensate for havign
graduated 3 years ago. Otherwise, how else would anyone reading my
resume knows that I have that basic knowledge since I haven't done any
personal projects to show. Any info on the cert books that covers all
areas of the exam for programmer?

Chris Uppal

new said:
I am thinking that Getting Java Certification (for progremmer) no later
than by the end of this year might be the way to comepensate for havign
graduated 3 years ago. Otherwise, how else would anyone reading my
resume knows that I have that basic knowledge since I haven't done any
personal projects to show. Any info on the cert books that covers all
areas of the exam for programmer?

I'm afraid I know nothing about certification, and what (if any) books will
help with that.

I'm not certain, but it seems to me that you may be confusing two different
things -- namely gaining experience and practice, and having /proof/ that you
gained experience and practise. I admit that for someone who has been so far
(as I understand it) "only" a student, it can be hard to distinguish the two
(educational systems seem almost deliberately to encourage the confusion).
Still, what you need now is practice. If you can also get pieces of paper then
that's fine, but it's the practise itself that will benefit you.

I think you said that your biggest concern was getting a hot start so as not to
waste time, or risk failing, when you start another course as a student.
Gaining certification would not in itself reduce either risk (though the
practise you put in would). If you are also concerned about whether you can
gain entry to your intended course without formal experience, then that could
certainly be a valid concern, but if so then I'd suggest talking to the people
who run the course to see what they would consider a worthwhile interim
programme for you to follow.

-- chris

me

Chris said:
I'm afraid I know nothing about certification, and what (if any) books will
help with that. Okay.

I'm not certain, but it seems to me that you may be confusing two different
things -- namely gaining experience and practice, and having /proof/ that you
gained experience and practise.

I wasn't confused but cert as a way to show that I haven't discarded
java but I understand your point. It's a waste of time.
I admit that for someone who has been so far
(as I understand it) "only" a student, it can be hard to distinguish the two
(educational systems seem almost deliberately to encourage the confusion).
Still, what you need now is practice. If you can also get pieces of paper then
that's fine, but it's the practise itself that will benefit you.

I think you said that your biggest concern was getting a hot start so as not to
waste time, or risk failing, when you start another course as a student.

I was talking about failing the cert exam but I have discarded the idea
about cert. I, now want to show what I have been coding, etc.