H[y]stery behind the structure name FILE?

Suman

I don't seem to recall having seen any other structure defined in the
standard libraries
that has an all uppercase name. FILE, is a glaring exception. Does
anyone know as
to why this is so?

I am not too sure if this is the right place for this question, so I
beg your pardon if I've
wandered off-topic.

Regards,
Suman

CBFalconer

Suman said:
I don't seem to recall having seen any other structure defined in the
standard libraries
that has an all uppercase name. FILE, is a glaring exception. Does
anyone know as
to why this is so?

I am not too sure if this is the right place for this question, so I
beg your pardon if I've
wandered off-topic.

Notice the funny line ending sequences in this quote. You can
avoid this if you simply restrict your output lines to be under 72
chars (67 is even better).

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
-- Thomas Matthews