Hello I'm new to coding

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to coding. I'm learning python online. I been using a very old Chromebook and just bought a Mac book to learn how to code and other things in computers. It is very challenging. Thanks

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the world of coding! It's great that you're taking the initiative to learn Python and explore the world of programming. Transitioning to a new device and operating system can be challenging, but it's a positive step forward.
Here are a few tips to help you on your coding journey with your new MacBook:
  1. Getting Started:
    • Familiarize yourself with the macOS environment. Learn about the menu bar, dock, Finder, and basic system preferences.
    • Install Python on your Mac. You can use the pre-installed version, but you might also want to explore using tools like Homebrew or pyenv to manage Python versions.
  2. Code Editors:
    • Choose a code editor that suits your preferences. VSCode, Atom, and Sublime Text are popular choices. These editors provide a smooth experience for coding and have extensions for Python.
  3. Terminal Usage:
    • Get comfortable with the Terminal. Many programming tasks, especially in Python, involve using the command line. It's a powerful tool for running scripts, managing packages, and more.
  4. Python Environment:
    • Consider using virtual environments. Virtual environments help you manage dependencies and keep your project environments isolated.
  5. Online Resources:
    • Continue using online resources for learning. Websites like Codecademy, W3Schools, and Real Python offer tutorials and exercises that can help reinforce your learning.
  6. Community and Forums:
    • Join other coding communities and forums. Websites like Stack Overflow, Reddit (e.g., r/learnpython), and the Python Discord community are great places to ask questions and seek help.
  7. Projects:
    • Work on small projects to apply what you've learned. Building projects is a great way to reinforce your skills and gain practical experience.
  8. Documentation:
    • Get comfortable reading documentation. Understanding how to navigate and use official documentation is a crucial skill in programming.
  9. Take Breaks:
    • Coding can be challenging, and it's okay to take breaks. It's important to pace yourself and not get overwhelmed. Learning to code is a gradual process.
Remember that learning to code is a journey, and it's normal to encounter challenges along the way. Be patient, practice regularly, and don't hesitate to seek help when needed. Good luck with your coding adventures on your new MacBook! If you have any specific questions or need further guidance, feel free to ask.

Ask a Question