Help!! email newsletter from XML file

slinky

Thanks in advance for for any clues: I have a website I'm building
using MS-Visual Web Developer Express Asp.Net/VB.net). I'm tooling it
to collect names and emails to send out our newsletter.

I'm hoping to find some Javascript that will iterate through my XML
file and send abtout 100 emails out automatically to those wanting my
newsletter. I've tried to do this in ASP.net/VB.net but am stumped so
I thought I'd look at the Javascript possibilities.

I have successfully setup an XML file with some sample names and
emails. I populated this through a well functioning .aspx page that
writes to the XML file and I have set up another .aspx page from which
I can
view the collected persons. what I need is a way to send our
newsletter (which for the time being will be just some text in the
email body (but I'd like to do more). So I need to parse through the
XML list and send an email to each recipient. Any clues?

Here's my vb.net/asp.net code for users entering their names and email
addresses:

<script runat="server">
Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
If Not IsPostBack Then
Using ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("emailList.xml"))
txtNewEvent.DataBind()
txtDate.DataBind()
End Using
End If
End Sub

Private Sub btnSubmit_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnSubmit.Click
Using ds As New DataSet()
ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("emailList.xml"))
Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables(0).NewRow()
dr("emailAddress") = txtNewEvent.Text
dr("name") = txtDate.Text
ds.Tables(0).Rows.Add(dr)
ds.WriteXml(Server.MapPath("emailList.xml"))
End Using
End Sub
</script>

Here's my code for viewing the list of emails:

<script runat="server">
Private Function MakeDataView() as DataView
Dim myDataSet As New DataSet()
myDataSet.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("emailList.xml"))
Dim view As DataView = New DataView(myDataSet.Tables(0))
view.AllowDelete = False
view.AllowEdit = False
view.AllowNew = False
view.Sort = "Name ASC"
Return view
End Function

Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As EventArgs)
Dim view as DataView = MakeDataView()
dgEmail.DataSource = view
dgEmail.AllowSorting = True
dgEmail.DataBind()
End Sub
</script>

Bart Van der Donck

slinky said:
I'm hoping to find some Javascript that will iterate through my XML
file and send abtout 100 emails out automatically to those wanting my
newsletter. I've tried to do this in ASP.net/VB.net but am stumped so
I thought I'd look at the Javascript possibilities.

Client-site javascript could parse the XML-file, but cannot
automatically send emails.

The usual way is to make a server-side application like this:

1. Read XML-file into memory
2. Parse the DOM or tie to variables
3. Loop for every entry
4. Send out the mail for each entry in the loop
5. Print report to screen

Hope this helps,