Help. HOW TO guide for PyQt installation

D. Xenakis

Hi there,
Im searching for an installation guide for PyQt toolkit.
To be honest im very confused about what steps should i follow for a complete and clean installation. Should i better choose to install the 32bit or the 64bit windows version? Or maybe both? Any chance one of them is more/less bug-crashy than the other? I know both are availiable on the website but just asking.. If i installed this package on windows 8, should i have any problems? From what i read PyQt supports only xp and win7.
I was thinking about installing the newer version of PyQt along with the QT5. I have zero expirience on PyQt so either way, everything is going to be new to me, so i dont care that much about the learning curve diference between new and old PyQt - Qt version. I did not find any installer so i guess i should customly do everything. Any guide for this plz?

Id also like to ask.. Commercial licence of PyQt can only be bought on riverbank's website? I think i noticed somewhere an other reseller "cheaper one" or maybe i didnt know what the hell i was reading :). Maybe something about Qt and not PyQt.

Please help this noob,
Regards

Terry Reedy

Hi there, Im searching for an installation guide for PyQt toolkit. To
be honest im very confused about what steps should i follow for a
complete and clean installation. Should i better choose to install
the 32bit or the 64bit windows version?

I am rather sure you should match your Python installation.
If i installed this
package on windows 8, should i have any problems? From what i read
PyQt supports only xp and win7.

If the PyQT author(s) say nothing about Win8, I would presume that they
have not tested it. Do you really want to be a guinea pig?
I was thinking about installing the
newer version of PyQt along with the QT5.

Does PyQT 'say' that it works with QT5? If so, try it.

D. Xenakis

Τη ΤετάÏτη, 20 ΜαÏτίου 2013 2:55:22 Ï€.μ. UTC+2, ο χÏήστης Terry Reedy έγÏαψε:
I am rather sure you should match your Python installation.

If the PyQT author(s) say nothing about Win8, I would presume that they

have not tested it. Do you really want to be a guinea pig?

Does PyQT 'say' that it works with QT5? If so, try it.

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/news
Yes from their news

Yes i'll better stay same version as python.
Im just asking as my new laptop has win8 on that and even though i got a linux partition on that, id rather not install a win7 partition too :D. I'll give it a try what the hek. maybe there is a win7 compability mode or win7image option inside win 7 anyway.

I know i cant expect a guide how to as everything is quite new here, but ..im just searching for some guidelines here. I have download and installed already "PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.0.1-x32-2.exe Windows 32 bit installer" out from this website http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/software/pyqt/download , in my start menu there is a new folder named "PyQt GPL v4.10 for Python v3.3 (x32)" but when i run Designer and go to about tab it only says:
Qt Assistant
Version 5.0.1
Copyright (C) 2012 Digia Plc and/or its subsidiary(-ies).

Would that be normal? Shouldn't i also see somewhere anything about PyQt.. :p

And last but not least..
ive noticed in the Riverbank's website this notice "Before you can build PyQt you must have already built and installed SIP"

I havent done that..

What exactly will happend now, that i have not installed that yet. What would the conflict be (im asking more so that i can understand how this helps)..

Thx 4 your time guys just by reading this!

[...]

jmfauth

[...]

Well it works for me. Care to elaborate?

Phil

No problem.

Yesterday, I downloaded "PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.0.1-x32-2.exe"
and installed it on my Windows 7 Pro box after having removed
a previous version.

No problem with the installation.

I quickly tested it with one of my interactive Python interpreters
and got an error "from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore" saying, that the
DLL cannot be found.

Something similar to what Detlev Offenbach reported on
the PyQt mailing list. Although, I'm not using Qsci.

Strangely, I had not problem (if I recall correctly) with a
very basic application (QMainWindow + QLineEdit).

I had no problem with the demo (I only lauched it).

I did not spend to much time in investigating further.

It's the first time I see such an error; usually, no problem.

jmf

Phil Thompson

No problem.

Yesterday, I downloaded "PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py3.3-Qt5.0.1-x32-2.exe"
and installed it on my Windows 7 Pro box after having removed
a previous version.

No problem with the installation.

I quickly tested it with one of my interactive Python interpreters
and got an error "from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore" saying, that the
DLL cannot be found.

Something similar to what Detlev Offenbach reported on
the PyQt mailing list. Although, I'm not using Qsci.

Strangely, I had not problem (if I recall correctly) with a
very basic application (QMainWindow + QLineEdit).

I had no problem with the demo (I only lauched it).

I did not spend to much time in investigating further.

It's the first time I see such an error; usually, no problem.

The only time that I've seen a problem like that is when running from a
shell that was started before running the PyQt installer (ie. one with an
out of date PATH).

Phil

jmfauth

The only time that I've seen a problem like that is when running from a
shell that was started before running the PyQt installer (ie. one with an
out of date PATH).

Phil

------

The PATH could be the cause. I stupidly forgot to check it
before removing PyQt...

I repeated the experiment (app == eta26.py). With and
without "PyQt" in the system PATH. (Btw, why is it
necessary?)

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python32\python eta26.py
PyQt: 4.8.6, Qt: 4.7.4 Python 3.2.3

No problem.

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python33\python eta26.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "eta26.py", line 32, in <module>
from PyQt4 import QtGui, QtCore
ImportError: DLL load failed: Le module spécifié est introuvable.
(Translation: The specified module can no be found.)

D:\jm\jmpy\eta\eta26>c:\python33\python eta26.py
PyQt: 4.10, Qt: 4.8.4 Python 3.3.0

No problem.

No idea. It is mysterious for me. eta26 is only
importing QtGui and QtCore. It however uses a sophisticated
widget like QPlainTextEdit.

jmf

jmfauth

-----

Strangely, I had not problem (if I recall correctly) with a
very basic application (QMainWindow + QLineEdit).

ADDENDUM, CORRECTION

It fails too. I forgot to rename PySide --> PyQt4 !

I tried to collect other experiences via Google. No luck.

jmf