Help: Input Dialog Box

Basil Fawlty

I need help and suggestions on how to modify the below program to get two
numbers from user input using a input dialog box. B/c I'm a total newbie
with next to no programming experience, I'm not sure where to insert the
additional code. I'm using Forte for Java 3.0 CE. The below code does
compile and run. Please advise.

import javax.swing.*; // Make Swing available
public class sum2 extends java.lang.Object
{
public sum2() { // Creates new main
}
public static void main (String args[])
{
int intSum; // Holds the sum
intSum = 14 + 35; // Compute sum
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The total is " + intSum); // Show
user the sum in a message window
System.exit(0); // Stops the execution

Basil Fawlty

More detail, I should have posted this info too, sorry, I'm to use a
recommeded approach to modify the previous code:

String input;
double number1;
input = JoptionPane.showInputDialog("Enter a number");
number1 = Double.parseDouble(input);

But when I do it seems to give me a data type mistach, or it may be don to
me making a mess out of the good code for not know the correct syntactical
aproach. Can someone please help me?

Basil Fawlty

This is as far as I can get it now, below, I have compile errors, datatype
mismatch (maybe b/v of string args) and a problem with the double.parse, I
dont know enough to mod the code further w/o making a mess, I know its
close. HELP!

import javax.swing.*; // Make Swing available
public class sum2 extends java.lang.Object
{
public sum2() { // Creates new main
}
public static void main (String args[])
{
double num1 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Input the first number:");
num1 = double.parseDouble(num1)
double num2 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("Input the second number:");
num2 = double.parseDouble(num2)
double numSum; // Holds the sum
numSum = num1 + num2; // Compute sum
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The total is " + numSum);

Basil Fawlty said:
I need help and suggestions on how to modify the below program to get two
numbers from user input using a input dialog box. B/c I'm a total newbie
with next to no programming experience, I'm not sure where to insert the
additional code. I'm using Forte for Java 3.0 CE. The below code does
compile and run. Please advise.

import javax.swing.*; // Make Swing available
public class sum2 extends java.lang.Object
{
public sum2() { // Creates new main
}
public static void main (String args[])
{
int intSum; // Holds the sum
intSum = 14 + 35; // Compute sum
JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "The total is " + intSum); //
Show
user the sum in a message window
System.exit(0); // Stops the execution

jfalt

Looks like you were closer before. In your latest iteration, you have
:
double num1 = JOptionPane.showInputDialog("I­nput the first number:");
You are attempting to assign a String Object into a double. Try
combining your lines such as double num1 =
Double.parseDouble(JOptionPane.showInputDialog(" ..."));