Help need setting up Visual Studio .NET for ASP.NET Web Applications

M Skabialka

I installed Visual Studio Beta 2005 but setting up the SQL server was so
complex I uninstalled it and put Visual Studio 2003 Academic on. I am
totally new to Visual Studio and trying to teach myself from books and
online classes. I tried to follow instructions to creating a new ASP.NET
Web Application.
The default location for this is
http://localhost/WebApplication1
I hit OK then get this message:

The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http//:localhost/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

I hit OK, and nothing else happens - no project is created.
Whenever I try to open .sln files (eg MOD11VB.sln) from the online classes I
get these messages:

I hit OK, then it says:
'Solution C:\..........\MOD11VB.sln' and its projects must be converted to
the formats used by this version of Visual Studio .NET.
If you choose to convert this solution, all of its projects will be
converted as well... etc

I choose No and it closes, I choose Yes and in the Solution Explorer it says
MOD11VB (unavailable)
The project cannot be found.

This happens to any .sln I have from any source, like sample apps, etc.

Also, I don't know if I have http//:localhost set up right. Where or how is
this
done? I installed MSDE and it says it is running. IIS seems to be running
in Services.

I am completely lost here.... I am totally unable to create or view ASP.NET
Web Applications.

Any help will be deeply appreciated!

Thanks,
Mich

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Mich,

A couple of things to try:

Run this free tool and make sure your Webs are set to v1.1.4322.

http://www.denisbauer.com/NETTools/ASPNETVersionSwitcher.aspx

Next, follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306005

More info:

"You must have IIS (Internet Information Services) installed before you
install the .NET Framework. If you install IIS after you install the .NET
Framework, you must also register the ASP.NET extensions with IIS. You can
do this by running the aspnet_regiis executable from: %windows root
directory%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\%version of the .NET
Framework%\aspnet_regiis -r Where %windows root directory% is the directory
Windows is installed to (typically c:\windows or c:\winnt) and %version of
the .NET Framework% is the version of the .NET Framework you have installed.
The directory for .NET 1.0 is v1.0.3705 and for 1.1 is v1.1.4322."

M Skabialka

I think I need to uninstall then reinstall everything in the right order.
Thanks for your help..
Mich