Relationship Between Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer

Cramer

So, what is the relationship between Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer.
I find a lot of documentation on MSDN that presents Visual Web Developer as
it's own stand-alone product (which I'd expect of the Express editions), but
apparently there are NON Express versions of Visual Web Developer.

Is Visual Web Developer only built-in to Visual Studio 2008 Professional? I
see "Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008" listed as an installed product in
my About Microsoft Visual Studio dialog.

Can a non Express version of Visual Web Developer be run outside of Visual
Studio?

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> what is the relationship between Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer?

Visual Web Developer is the web application-writing component of Visual Studio,
which also includes the capability to write Console and Windows Applications,
besides web applications.

re:
!> I find a lot of documentation on MSDN that presents Visual Web Developer as
!> it's own stand-alone product (which I'd expect of the Express editions), but
!> apparently there are NON Express versions of Visual Web Developer.

There is no "non Express" version of Visual Web Developer.
The VWD in Visual Studio is exactly the same as the stand-alone Visual Web Developer.

Visual Studio includes other applications which the stand-alone
version of VWD doesn't have, like source control, unit testing, etc.

re:
!> Is Visual Web Developer only built-in to Visual Studio 2008 Professional?

No. It's built into all versions of Visual Studio.

!> I see "Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2008" listed as an
!> installed product in my About Microsoft Visual Studio dialog.

Indeed, it *is* installed as a component of Visual Studio.
It also can work as a standalone application.

re:
!> > Can a non Express version of Visual Web Developer be run outside of Visual Studio?

There is no "non Express" version of Visual Web Developer.

The "Express" stand-alone version is the same Visual Web Developer
which runs as part of the Visual Studio IDE.