Visual Studio

shapper

Hello,

Does anyone knows what is the difference between Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Professional?

Thanks,
Miguel

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Team Foundation Server - Project and Source Control. Can also serve as a
build server.

Team System - Visual Studio with additional tools for database (which pretty
much suck (sorry guys)), testing and architecture (last two categories are
good).

Professional - A SKU without Team System bits.

Mark Rae [MVP]

Team System - Visual Studio with additional tools for database (which
pretty much suck (sorry guys)), testing and architecture (last two
categories are good).

I completely concur...

bruce barker (sqlwork.com)

i like the database tools and use for all deployments, but think the dev test
tools are not up to nunit standards. never used the tester tools.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

Hello,

Does anyone knows what is the difference between Microsoft Visual
Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server and Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
Professional?

Thanks,
Miguel

The Express editions eliminate the Visual J# sku. Visual J# will only
be available to customers if they install Visual Studio 2005. The
Express editions are free for customers to download.

The Standard edition will be a union of all of the Express Edition
products, with the addition of support for development of applications
for common consumer Windows Mobile-based devices, such as the
SmartPhone and Pocket PC.

The Professional edition is for individual programmers or those
working in small teams who are building mission-critical, multi-tier
smart client, Web, and mobile applications. It now includes Microsoft
Office System (VSTO), and is focused on multi-tier solutions with
transactions, management, etc.

Team System edition enhances the Professional product by including
productive, integrated life-cycle tools that help teams communicate
and collaborate more effectively as they deliver modern, service-
oriented solutions on the .NET Framework. Team System provides tools
for several roles in the IT Lifecycle, not just developers. Visual
Studio Team System is a retail box -server and client products.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2453115&SiteID=1

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

It depends on what database tools we are talking about. In particular, I am
focused on the Database Pro Team System tools, not the designers that ship
with Pro or higher. The Database Pro tools are designed for incremental
development in SQL Server. And, they do that job ... as long as you are
proficient in SQL. I am proficient in SQL, but I see no reason to use a
versioning tool in this manner, when I already have discipline in that area.
If DB Pro offered me decent designers, I would feel differently. It still
sucks in 2008, BTW.

Personally, I do not find database projects very compelling in VS Team
System, as they really do not offer much. I have used tools from Embacadero,
RedGate and ApexSQL (depending on what I am doing). And, although it takes
more tools to cover the entire Agile database development thing, I find the
designer method much more satisfying.

For MS's benefit: I find it easier to create the new version of the database
and use a compare tool than to use the Database Pro Team System SKU. If you
could offer me a visual way to work deltas out, I would love your tool.
Right now, I appreciate that it does the creation of the delta work, but the
tool itself sucks.

"bruce barker (sqlwork.com)"