herding messages from a server to a directory

Wade Ward

First-time poster here in perl-land:

I had a close working relationship with a fellow at the University of
Minnesota named Kevin. He ran the whole show with perl. I am trying to do
something for which I believe perl is the language of choice and wonder out
loud if this might be a good opportunity to work up a little something in
perl.

Q1) How does one go about herding messages from a server to a directory.
These messages would be of the variety that appear in usenet, with the same
subject heading, except the first, which lacks 'Re: ' Ultimately, they
would be in a directory where they would exists as filenames with some
ordering.

Q2) Is there a good perl suite for a hobbyist?

Joe Smith

Wade said:
Q1) How does one go about herding messages from a server to a directory.

The word "server" is way too vague. There are many different types of server,
requiring very different solutions.
These messages would be of the variety that appear in usenet, with the same
subject heading, except the first, which lacks 'Re: ' Ultimately, they
would be in a directory where they would exists as filenames with some
ordering.

A very useful Perl program is AUB. It
a) pulls messages from a USENET news server (via NNTP),
b) associates several messages together based on the subject line.

http://yukidoke.org/~mako/projects/aub/
Q2) Is there a good perl suite for a hobbyist?

It's already included if you're running Linux, Solaris and many other Unix-like OS.
For Windows, both ActiveState.com and Cygwin.com flavors of Perl are free for download.

-Joe

Wade Ward

Joe Smith said:
The word "server" is way too vague. There are many different types of
server,
requiring very different solutions.

A very useful Perl program is AUB. It
a) pulls messages from a USENET news server (via NNTP),
b) associates several messages together based on the subject line.

http://yukidoke.org/~mako/projects/aub/

It's already included if you're running Linux, Solaris and many other
Unix-like OS.
For Windows, both ActiveState.com and Cygwin.com flavors of Perl are free
for download.
Thanks Joe. I'll see what I can hunt down at that link tomorrow. I've
failed with cygwin twice: I can't unlearn dos. I'll give ActiveState a
peek.