    opysho_java Guest

    could i be enlightened on some of the fundamental things i need to
    know when it comes to java programming, Thanks.

    opysho_java, Nov 4, 2009

  2. opysho_java

    markspace Guest

    Here's a good tutorial:

    http://www.javapassion.com/javaintro/

    markspace, Nov 4, 2009

  3. opysho_java

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Start at:
    http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Nov 4, 2009
  4. opysho_java

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Nov 5, 2009
  5. Well... To me anyone who defines inheritance as
    "code reuse" deserves to be shot (the author of
    that tutorial sure does) and I would be very cautious
    about writing made by such a person :(

    Objective-C programmers are having a good laugh about
    inheritance being about "code reuse" ;)

    alexandre_paterson, Nov 5, 2009
  6. I don't interpret his statement that way:

    "Inheritance is one of the most important OO concept along with
    encapsulation and polymorphism. Basically it allows reuse of the code
    since a sub-class (child class) can readily use the properties and
    methods defined in the super class (parent class)."

    He isn't *defining* inheritance, he's describing, for those new to Java
    and to OO, something inheritance allows. It's a necessarily simplistic
    statement that is followed by a reference to the Sun tutorial on
    inheritance in Java.

    His writings are often recommended here by people whose opinions I have
    come to respect.

    I don't remember any occasion when I have been convinced of something by
    the reported laughter of the misinformed. Rather the opposite effect
    pertains.

    It seems to me the top two hits for "objective-c inheritance" don't
    really do much better:

    "Inheritance in Objective-C is similar to Java. When you extend your
    super class (of which you can only have one parent) you can override the
    methods of your super class by simply putting the new implementations in
    the child classes implementation."

    "Objective-C enables programmer to inherit common methods and properties
    from other class, known as inheritance."

    RedGrittyBrick, Nov 5, 2009