Hi, Ruby Programmers, Is this possible.

Dot Smidt

Hello, everyone. Today I picked up Ubuntu User magazine, and I happened
upon an article on Ruby, which brought me here.

I am looking for a detailed answer about what can be done with Ruby.
First, if someone has the time, could you please look at this.

http://code.google.com/p/parchment/

Is it possible to do this with Ruby. I understand the language itself is
very capable, but I am looking for a detailed yes or no answer. The idea
is to have an entire webpage with an interactive interface. The example
above uses a combination of programming technologies to provide this.
Does Ruby have the capability to create controls or web components that
are pretty much a cli (command line interface) which can be exposed to a
browser. I am not too knowledgeable about scripting languages and CGI. I
know a server side language like PHP can NOT do this. How about
Ruby/CGI, etc. Does anyone have an example of something similar. BTW, I
do mean completely in Ruby, nothing external, except html/xhtml for
defining pages. A good explanation here might push me toward picking up
Ruby. I would be willing to learn the language for just such a project.
Also the above link is based on the Inform interpreter at inform7.com.
Are, there any interactive fiction systems written in ruby? Lots of
questions.

As one last attempt to make sure I am clear about what I am asking, can
Ruby be used to write an interactive fiction interpreter such as glulxe
(with graphics) or zoom and can this interpreter be exposed to a
browser. loading images and etc.

Marnen Laibow-Koser

Dot said:
[...]

Ruby is a server-side language just as PHP is. The only client-side
language you can rely on is JavaScript.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

Aldric Giacomoni

Dot said:
Hello, everyone. Today I picked up Ubuntu User magazine, and I happened
upon an article on Ruby, which brought me here.

I am looking for a detailed answer about what can be done with Ruby.
First, if someone has the time, could you please look at this.

http://code.google.com/p/parchment/

Is it possible to do this with Ruby.

Hey.. Wanna try Ruby in your browser? http://tryruby.org/
It's a text interface!

Alright -- alright -- it's not just Ruby. It's also got Javascript.
Still, it's close to what you're asking about, isn't it?

mdiam

Ruby is a server-side language just as PHP is.  The only client-side
language you can rely on is JavaScript.

Or JRuby because it is written 100% in Java?
-- Maurice

Thiago Massa

java != javascript

oh god...

Marnen Laibow-Koser

mdiam said:
Or JRuby because it is written 100% in Java?

Yes, if you like applets.

Or Hotruby because it's 100% JavaScript, but that's not a complete
implementation yet.

To the OP: this issue has nothing to do with the limitations of Ruby or
PHP, but is simply a function of how Web applications work. That's why
substituting languages won't change anything.
-- Maurice

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser