hide my source code/

ross

I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you advise,
please? thank you,

EightNineThree

ross said:
I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you advise,
please? thank you,

Yeah, give up before you even start.
If you don't want it stolen, don't publish it on the Internet, because once
it is displayed on the visitor's screen, it is already stolen

brucie

I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you advise,
please? thank you,

it is not possible to hide your source. disabling the right-click
(assuming the mouse even has a right button) just makes you look like
an idiot.

Disco

ross said:
I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source
to display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you
advise, please? thank you,

hhmm. Not that I care. (or know how to do what you have asked (If I did, I
would tell you)) but a thread starting with a question such as this, is
always a good one to follow. I need to read *bitch* posts every
now-and-then from the Pure Bloods. It makes me smile.

<quote from="echoecho.com">Imagine learning the web by viewing source from
other sites, then use that knowledge to hide the codes so others can't do
the same with your own source. Funniest of all - the *no right click* script
itself is 999/1000 times *borrowed* from other peoples coding</quote>

Mark Jones

ross said:
I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you advise,
please? thank you,
Certainly. DO NOT DO IT.

ross

Well, I guess I hit a tender spot. I have seen this done and my curiousity
got the best of me. I was just wondering how it is done, that is all. I see
disco has sense of humor..sorry to create a huff. Take
care, Dick Ross

Mark Parnell

ross said:
Well, I guess I hit a tender spot. I have seen this done and my
curiousity got the best of me. I was just wondering how it is done,
that is all. I see disco has sense of humor..sorry to create a huff.

That wasn't a huff. :)

Basically, yes it can be done, but

1) It often only works in one browser
2) It won't work if JavaScript is disabled
3) It only proves that you don't know what you are doing
4) It can't prevent people from seeing your source code
5) It will annoy your visitors who want to use the context menu for other
reasons, such as bookmarking your site
6) There is nothing new in your source code that we haven't seen/done before
7) Froggie's Law: If you think you have to hide your source, it's a sure bet
you have nothing worth hiding.

HTH

Leif K-Brooks

ross said:
I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available. Can you advise,
please? thank you,

1) Buy some floppy disks.
2) Put one into your computer.
3) Put your web page onto the disk.
4) Take the disk out.
5) Break the disk.
6) Put the actual disk (round, brown, etc.) into a paper shredder.
7) Bury the remains.

Nicolai P. Zwar

ross said:
I need a suggestion about making the right click and the show source to
display a message saying that my source is not available.

Just out of curiosity: why? Chances are, if you have anything worthwile
to publish, you should if anything be more worried about somebody
stealing the content of your webpage, but who would "steal" some "td"
and "p" and "li" tags? Really, don't worry about it.

Can you advise,
please? thank you,

Sure, if you still insist, Ross, though I suggest this for educational
purposes only. But since you said that "I have seen this done and my
curiousity got the best of me. I was just wondering how it is done, that
is all", so here you go:

http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright.htm

But just like anybody else I would advise against using such a script. I
find it annoying when I encounter one, because I usually right click on
links, because I surf with multiple websites open.

Isofarro

BORG said:

In that case, I see your Microsoft Frontpage, and raise you someone else's
(probably rf's) Microsoft Excel. I know what it really excels at!

Neo Geshel

rf wrote:

[Made in MS Excel]

My jaw seriously dropped when I looked at the source code for that page.

Yet another example of why we should avoid all MS products that *create*
web pages (IIS 5.0 and 5.1 are decent enough web servers). I could have
done the same web page in 1/10 the amount of code, if not less. And that
is using XHTML 1.0 Strict with an embedded stylesheet, not an external
one.

....Geshel
Reply-to e-mail forwards all received e-mails to SpamCop for UBE/UCE
(Unsolicited Bulk/Commercial E-mail) reporting. DO NOT USE THAT ADDRESS!
Please send e-mail to my first name at my last name dot org.

Daniel Doman

Your best solution is called PHP.. Once its in the browser, it is out of
your hands. If you want to hide application logic, dont send it to the
browser and in any case you will be sending smaller pages to your users who
will probably thank you for it.