hints for find-as-you-type hints

cbossens73

Hi all,

I tried googling a bit but didn't find anything yet...

I want to offer a "find-as-you-type" list when the user
enters text in a Swing application.

I already have the algorithm finding the suggestions (using
several techniques not entirely dissimilar to spell checking
algorithms, including a self-coded double-metaphone engine,
algorithms specific to the kind of input my application is
expecting from the user, etc.)

But my question is really about what Swing component I should
use so that it works nicely and it's not too intrusive.

Pro... (say in a JTextField)
Programmer in ???
Professor in ???
Promotion in ???

The user should be able to use the up and down arrow to
navigate through the suggestions, as well as click using
the mouse on one of them.

What would be a good Swing component to use for that?

cbossens73

Sabine Dinis Blochberger a crit :

I would say a JList in a JWindow

Ok, thanks a lot to both of you...

Two people suggesting JList so I'll be trying that.

Thanks,

Charles