home isn't where it should be

Ian Rutgers

Please take a look at http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/philosophy/index.php
.... specifically the "Main Menu" on the top right of the page. The "home"
link does not observe the same style settings as the rest of the menu. I
have validated both the css and xhtml code (w3 validators). If I change the
link for home from ../index.php to ../stuff.php the link formats correctly.
The index.php page it links to is http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php

[Did some experimenting and depending where the file links to in the site it
seems to affect the link ... but my question is why??? What does it matter
what page I link to on the site??

Here is the css

html, body{
margin:0em;
padding:0em;
background-color:#ccc;
}
body{
font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
}
#wrapper{
margin:0px auto;
width:792px;
min-width:792px;
height:auto;
position: relative;
background-color:#0072bc;
}
#header{
width:792px;
height:238px;
}
#footer{
clear:both;
position:relative;
top:0em;
left:0em;
background-color:#0072BC;
color:#fff;
padding:.25em .25em .15em .25em;
font-size:smaller;
text-align:center;
}
#globalBackground{
background-color:#0072BC;
width: 100%;
height: 100%;
}
#globalBackgroundHP{
background:url(../images/homepageBackground.jpg);
background-repeat:no-repeat;
}
#contentNav{
position:relative;
margin:0px auto;
width:752px;
height:auto;
text-align:center;
margin-bottom:2em;
font-size:85%;
}
#contentNav li{
display:inline;
padding: 0 .5em 0 0;
font-weight:bolder;
}
#contentLeftNav{
margin: 1% 1% 0 1%;
padding: 0;
width:33%;
font-size:90%;
}
#contentText{
margin: 1% 1% 0 0;
padding: 1em;
float:right;
background-image:url(../images/textbackgroundGradient.gif);
background-repeat:repeat;
width: 56%;
font-size:90%;
line-height:1.35em;
}
a{
text-decoration:none;
}
ul{
list-style-type:none;
margin:0;
padding:0;
}
img{
border:0;
padding:0;
margin:0;
}
#footer a{
color:#fff;
}
#footer a:hover, #footer a:focus{
color:#F7931D;
}
..divisor{
color:#F7931D;
width: 100%;
background-color:#F7931D;
height:.15em;
}
#logo{
position:absolute;
top:0px;
left:110px;
z-index: 2;
}
#swirl{
position:absolute;
top:0px;
left:0px;
z-index: 1;
}
..divisorContent{
width: 100%;
background-color:#F7931D;
height:.10em;
}
#headerLinks{
position:relative;
float:right;
margin-right:1em;
margin-top:1em;
z-index:2;
}
#contentLeftNav a{
width:100%;
display:block;
padding: .2em;
border-left:1px solid #fff;
border-right:1px solid #fff;
border-bottom:0px;
border-top:0px;
}
#contentNav a, #contentLeftNav a{
color:#fff;
}
#contentNav a:hover, #contentNav a:focus{
color:#F7931D;
}
#contentLeftNav a:hover, #contentLeftNav a:focus{
border-color:#F7931D;
background-image:url(../images/orangePixel.gif);
background-repeat:repeat;
}
#contentLeftNav a#selectedTopic,#nav li {
border-left:1px;
border-right:1px;
border-bottom:0px;
border-top:0px;
border-style:solid;
border-color:#F7931D;
background-image:url(../images/orangePixel2.gif);
background-repeat:repeat;
}
#contentLeftNav h2{
color: #F7931D;
}
#contentText h3{
color:#99c7e4;
}
#contentText ul{
list-style-type:none;
margin:0;
padding:.25em .65em;
}
#contentText li{
background-image: url(../images/blueBullet.gif);
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-position: 0 .4em;
padding-left: .6em;
}
strong{
color:#99c7e4;
}
#contentLeftNav h4{
width: 100%;
color:#fff;
padding: 1% 1% 1% 1%;
margin: 0em;
border-right: 1px solid #fff;
border-left: 1px solid #fff;
}
/* special drop down nav */
#nav ul { /* all lists */
margin: 0;
list-style: none;
}
#nav li { /* all list items */
float: left;
position: relative;
width: 12em;
}
#nav li ul { /* 1st level list items */
display: none;
position: absolute;
top: 1.25em;
left: 0em;
}
#nav li ul li {
left: -1px;
line-height:1.3em;
}
#nav li>ul { /* to override top and left in browsers other than IE, which
will position to the top right of the containing li, rather than bottom left
*/
top: auto;
left: auto;
}
#nav li:hover ul, #nav li.over ul { /* lists nested under hovered list items
*/
display: block;
}
#nav li{
color:#fff;
}
#nav li ul li a:link{
color:#fff;
padding: 0 0 0 1em;
}
#mmenu{
padding:0 0 0 1em;
line-height:1.25em;
font-size:larger;
}
#nav li ul li a:hover, #nav li ul li a:focus{
display:block;
background-image:url(../images/orangePixel.gif);
background-repeat:repeat;
}
#first{
padding-top:.5em;
margin-top:.15em;
}
* html #first{
/* rules for just IE here */
margin-top:.4em;
}
#last{
padding-bottom:.5em;
}
/* end special drop down nav */

thx

Frank Olieu

_Ian Rutgers_ skrev | wrote | écrivit (09-06-2006 01:38):
If I change the
link for home from ../index.php to ../stuff.php the link formats correctly.
The index.php page it links to is http://www.taoofpeace.com/test/index.php

[Did some experimenting and depending where the file links to in the site it
seems to affect the link ... but my question is why??? What does it matter
what page I link to on the site??

It depends on whether or not the link has been visited. Try specifying:
#nav li ul li a:visited {...}