hosting app from pc

Jimmy

Hi

I am trying to let other people access my asp.net app through the internet.
Besides from any security issues i have tried this but other people cannot
reach my site. The url I want to be accessed is
:http://myip/myaspnetapp.aspx

ch Jim

-XP pro
-.net 1.1
-zonealarm 5.5.062.011

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Most likely a firewall/router is in the way.
You need a public IP address. The router must forward port 80 requests to
your internal IP address.

Jimmy

how do you manage this?

Jim
Steve C. Orr said:
Most likely a firewall/router is in the way.
You need a public IP address. The router must forward port 80 requests to
your internal IP address.

Chuck Insight

If I understand your situation correctly, you start by configuring the
router.
Check the manual for exactly how.

Your internally hosted webs are probably in c:\inetpub\wwwroot
If so, go there and find a file with an .htm, .html, .asp, or an .aspx
suffix.

Naturally, you need IIS loaded and configured on the PC.
To test whether it is, crank up your browser.
In the browser address bar enter http://localhost/(any_file_name_from_above)
If it displays, IIS is properly configured - If not re-install IIS from the
ground up.
Be sure that you have file and folder permissions set properly.

If you have successfully navigated both of these hurdles, the world is able
to view your webs.

Chuck Insight

One final thought - your ISP must provide a static IP Address for this
purpose.
If you are within 10,000 feet of an office that provides DSL service,
the phone company offers an economic way to get a static IP Address.
To determine whether you are within this range, go to www.dslreports.com
Good luck.

Chuck Insight

Yes, that is a BIG problem.
Unless you get one, the URL will never resolve.
URL is a locator service that translates names into IP addresses.
If yours changes the name will never resolve.
At this point, you need to consider - - -
Hosting
T-1 service
Locating your server where providing you with a static address is part
of the deal.
Good luck.