How can I disable Net Framework >>without<< uninstalling it?

byte.this

I have the Service Pack installed, but this program is just plain
buggy. I don't even WANT it, but I couldn't get my ATI drivers to
install unless I had it on the system.

I don't mind if the files just sit there; I just don't want them
RUNNING. Not once have I been able to shut down my computer without
having to suffer a 2 minute wait while "NET FRAMEWORK is not
responding."

I have Windows 2000 Professional and am about to commence a reinstall
with new HDD's, so I want to see this modification in action BEFORE I
do the new install, just to see how it's affecting my video (if at
all).

Thanks.

Juan T. Llibre

If it's the .Net Framework you want to disable,
just run "aspnet_regiis -u" from the command line
in the .Net Framework directory.

From your comment that "I have the Service Pack installed",
I wonder if the problem you have is .Net related, though.

The reason for my comment is that you say that :
I couldn't get my ATI drivers to
install unless I had it on the system.

The .Net Framework doesn't talk to video drivers.

I would try to uninstall the *Windows 2000* Service Pack,
and attempt to reinstall it, if you took the option to save your
system's rollback info when you installed whatever Service Pack you installed.

Otherwise, it's format time for you.

Mark Fitzpatrick

ATI's Catalyst Control Center is built on the .Net Framework. Catalyst is
the utility used to control all of ATI's graphic card settings.
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Rob R. Ainscough

I had the same problem as you after install the .NET SP1.

I discovered that the problems related to VPN connections on my system, I
was able to resolve the problem by disabling the VPN connection in Network
settings.

If you run multiple IPs and/or Network cards you may see this problem
also -- again the solutions was to disable one of my network cards (since
many motherboards come with two built in network cards now).

..NET framework will be part of the next Windows OS, like it or not.

Rob.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
.NET framework will be part of the next Windows OS, like it or not.

It already was a part of Windows 2003 Server, with .Net 1.1.

Longhorn will release with the .Net Framework 2.0 pre-installed,
although not eveything in Longhorn will run on .Net.

Good 'ol fashioned C++ will still be used as a building block/glue.

Avalon, Indigo and WinFX will all use the .Net Framework, though,
and you will be able to program against them with C# and VB.NET.

According to Paul Thurrott, Longhorn Beta 1 will be released next week :

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/47013/47013.html

The IE 7 Beta should be released at the same time.
http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/47059/Windows_47059.html