How do i become the person I want to be.

Joined
Feb 28, 2022
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I can't really code, I mean I can get some very basic stuff done in python but that's it, I want to become a tactical programmer, so I can do stuff like in the movies, I know, I know it sounds stupid and naïve but I am really trying to find someone to help me learn this sort of thing, I've been trying for years but I have no teacher, I don't know if there are any coding groups out there willing to teach me but I am very willing to learn, my discord is Pyrus#1548. I want to be in the know.

P.s. if anyone has heard of The Jester (the 'coder') I want to be like him...

Sincerely, Pyrus.

Joined
Mar 3, 2021
Messages
240
Reaction score
30
I don't think you're likely to find anyone here. We're a fairly small community and I'm not sure we have offensive security experts. It's also a little bit of a legal grey area, if not outright illegal. So, let's assume you're interested in doing perfectly legal penetration testing of systems that you are authorized to attack and probe for vulnerabilities. Anyway, I'm sure those communities are out there that can and will help, but I'd also be very wary of being used by them. Anon has done that plenty, teaching new "members" to be script kiddies and selling them up the river or not teaching them enough to know how to protect themselves.

But, there are two major parts of penetration testing. Vulnerability research and vulnerability exploitation. It sounds like you're more interested in the latter, which is fairly frowned upon, and doesn't often require deep security knowledge. You'd be testing the target system for published CVEs that likely already have patches to fix them and code to exploit them, so you'd just be running scripts and code that others wrote and checking if the target has the relevant patches to protect it from specific attacks. Not that that isn't a valid strategy, plenty of systems online remain out of date, unpatched, and unmonitored.

The other side, vulnerability research, is much harder and much more powerful. You'd be looking for these vulnerabilities yourself, which might require deep dives into code, smoke testing, etc, etc, and extensive knowledge on how systems are often run and configured. But, finding an all-new vulnerability means that it won't likely get patched for longer, sometimes much longer, unless the vulnerability is disclosed (white hat hacking). State actors (hackers hired by governments) are much more interested in these types of vulnerabilities.

Anyway, that's all I've got for you. I'm happily on the defensive side of security, so I can't help much. Good luck and keep yourself safe out there, if you continue to pursue this career.

Joined
Mar 3, 2021
Messages
240
Reaction score
30
Actually, I lied. I do have more for you.

First, look up Kali Linux. It's a distribution specifically designed for penetration testing and such.

Second, check out VulnHub. People upload virtual machine images and such that have one or more vulnerabilities built into them for you to find and exploit. You basically play capture the flag (CTF) on your own systems for practice and education.

Lastly, check out the Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) certification. There are probably free, online resources to study and practice for it. That might provide some hands-on practice in the field, too.

Joined
Jan 24, 2022
Messages
30
Reaction score
2
This is not easy but you need to focus on developing various technical upgradation in your experience than you might think to make a profession.

Joined
Mar 18, 2022
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
First off, you should figure out what type of programming you like (e.g, game dev, low level programming, web dev, app dev, etc), and find a programming language for your interest. You should get books on it (You can look through 000-001 at your local library), and learn it over a few months. Then, you should start working on programs, things that you'd actually use.