how do i mute audio input?

Wayne's World

hi everybody,

i'm searching around now for two weeks, for a proper way, to mute the
audio input with java.

i'm writing java program that generates a television program. the
program uses a MySQL db to read the playlist for today and remote
controls VLC (www.videolan.org). i'm now working on an extension, that
some of the playlist entries are standing for live-tv, on whitch the
pc display's the signal, gainded on the tunerinput on a hauppauge
WinTV extreme. and there it is, where i have a problem.

i'm currently developing this under WinXP and, because VLC and VLS
supports DVB-cards only under Linux i need an application, that
display's the input of my tv-card on the screen. i tried DScaler (a
real unstable solution), ProgDVB (that doesn't support hauppauge's
WinTV) and media player classic (has no startup parameters to display
the input at application start; you have to choose it in the menu). so
i have to stay on the application, delivered with the WinTV card:
WinTV2000

however, when live tv should start, my java app runs:

Process winTV2000 =
Runtime.getRuntime().exec("c:\\Programs\\WinTV2000\WinTV2k.exe");

when the live session ends, i call

winTV2000.destroy();

and there is my problem. that call doesn't quit the application, it
destroy's the process of the application. that has the consequence,
that the audio input of my soundcard, the tv-card is sending the
audiosignal to, stay's open and the audio playback doesn't stop. i
have to mute the audio input manualy.

i thought, that has to be solved with java.sound.sampled, where i can
get my AudioMixers and their Port.Info.LINE_IN's. but that ports have
no controls. non of my mixers has any usable control. the one and only
control from all of my mixers i can get is a ReverbControl and that
shurely isn't what i need. i tried many way's to get a linein with
some controls, unfortunately unsuccessful. neither a BooleanControl
(for muting a port) nor a FloatControl (for volume-changing) is
supported by any of my mixers. i think, searching the JMF-Framework
wouldn't help me much, because JMF sets up on java.sound and has
therefor the same problems (tell me, if i'm wrong there).

i also tried to find out, if i can gain control of the audio mixer by
activex, but i didn't find the corresponding COM-object to do that.

sadly, i don't have neither much experience in programming c++ nor i
have visual studio, to programm native code for that.

i would appreciate any help on my problem. how can i make my WinTV
shut up???

thanks for your help

wayne