How many computers in the house?

Todd Burch

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

JeremyWoertink

2 completely operational, and 2 that only need ram or a video card. :)
BUT 4 that have ruby installed!

~Jeremy

Joel VanderWerf

Bil said:
I'm a Toyota Production System / Goldratt fan, I have one
(inventory is pure evil).

Heh. I own 0 computers. Ownership is so 20th century.

Rob Biedenharn

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went
out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us
had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

Well, there are 5 that are currently work and at least 5 that don't
(but 1 or 2 of those would just need a new O/S install, but they're
kinda old).

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

Rob Biedenharn

Heh. I own 0 computers. Ownership is so 20th century.

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went
out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us
had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

You haven't addressed Todd's original question. He didn't ask about
ownership, he asked computers you "had at home, that were
operational". Whether you own it or not wasn't part of the requirement.

-Rob

(e-mail address removed)

darren kirby

quoth the Todd Burch:
I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

I love collecting computers. So far I have:
3 x x86 Desktop/Server (Linux, FreeBSD)
1 x x86 Laptop (Linux)
1 x Sun Ultra 60 (Linux, Solaris)
1 x Apple PowerMac G4 (OS X)
1 x Apple PowerMac G5 (Linux, OS X)
1 x SGI Octane (Linux, Irix)

Yes, Ruby runs on all of them...

-d

Joel VanderWerf

Rob said:
You haven't addressed Todd's original question. He didn't ask about
ownership, he asked computers you "had at home, that were operational".
Whether you own it or not wasn't part of the requirement.

Still 0, at the moment. Got rid of an 8 year old linux box a few weeks ago.

Jonas Roberto de Goes Filho (sysdebug)

Todd said:
I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

Hi, in my house, I've only one computer x86 running Debian Etch and Ruby!

Chad Perrin

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Counting not only mine, but also the SigO's:

RUNNING
2 laptops (FreeBSD and Debian, both with Ruby)
1 desktop (MS Windows XP, soon to be FreeBSD instead)
3 servers (FreeBSD,Debian, and Debian, all with Ruby)

SOON TO BE RUNNING
1 game machine (FreeBSD, with Ruby)

SOON TO BE PLAYED WITH, OPERATIONAL STATUS UNKNOWN
2 mini PC systems
2 Sun IPCs
1 ancient Sony Vaio
1 Sun Sparcstation

OPERATIONAL, BUT PROBABLY JUNKED SOON
1 Toshiba laptop, 75MHz CPU (Slackware, broken screen)
1 ancient pizza-box form factor (Debian)

Then, of course, there are the various non-operational systems. I'm
pretty sure I haven't forgotten any of the operational systems, though
there may be one or two x86 "operational status unknown" systems I
forgot. The stuff in the "unknown" category will probably, as I get
(some of?) them running, will probably become a test network -- though I
may end up giving a couple away.

Bill Kelly

From: "Francis Cianfrocca said:
Last time I counted (a few months ago), I had 35 in my house. (These are
either desktops, laptops, servers, or workstations. I didn't count PDAs.)

Holy guacamole !

I've got five operational, four of which are in-use:

- winxp / i386 (development system)
- os x / ppc (development system)
- debian linux / i386 (NAT / router)
- win2k / i396 (wife's pc)
- debian linux / i386 (spare NAT / router)

All have ruby installed. :)

Regards,

Bill

Chad Perrin

Counting not only mine, but also the SigO's:

[snip]

In summary, counting the SigO's two systems, I expect that in very short
order there will be roughly ten operational systems running here, a
majority of which will probably have Ruby on them.

Craig Beck

What's your inventory count?

It's kinda funny.. I just got a new laptop from work and when I got
home I realized that between the wife and I we had 5 laptops (3 OSX,
1 XP, 1 Vista), and three desktops (1 OSX, 1 Ubuntu, 1 XP/Ubuntu)

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Todd said:
I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

I still have all but one of the computers I've used -- the one I *don't*
have is a Commodore 64 that I donated to a charity rummage sale.
Currently active are an Athlon TBird desktop, an Athlon XP laptop and an
Athlon64 X2 desktop. All run Gentoo Linux, all have Ruby, and the laptop
is dual booted with Windows XP. The one-click Ruby installer *and* a
full Cygwin distro are loaded on the Windows partition.

Robert McGovern

What's your inventory count?

Hmm lets see, there are 4 active machines running nearly all the time
(2 laptops, desktop and server) and two currently not being used
(laptop and pc).

No good names for my machines, all a bit basic or in most cases just
describing its purpose, anyway the in use machines:

Macbook - my main machine these days as I don't have a lot of time to
sit in my study. This way I can compute while spending time in the
company of my wife. 2ghz C2D with 1gb ram. Its my first Mac and for
the most part I really like it and OSX though a few things in OSX
annoy the heck out of me. Esp the dreaded beachball. Ruby, RubyCocoa &
Textmate installed.

Kieran - my wifes laptop which is generally hooked upto a 22 inch
monitor to watch programs in our living room or piping music into our
hifi. Its a Fujitsui Siemens Amilo 1505 or something like that. It
runs XP but very badly for some reason and only has 512mb ram. No
Ruby.

XP - My old main machine, sits in the study and is only really used to
play games on the few minutes of free time I have. Its a custom built
Shuttle with Athlon XP 2800+, 1GB ram and a AGP Nvidia 6600GTS.
Generally runs XP with Ubuntu used occasionally (I love Compiz /
Beryl). Ruby on both OS's

Server - My server, cobbled together from bits I had left over from
old machines and from bits friends had given me. It is a Athlon XP
1800 with 768MB ram, total of 500+GB of data storage (with backup for
400GB of it). It hosts my mail & web server and files for music &
video. Currently got a 3DFX Voodoo 3 16MB graphics card which I keep
intending to put in another machine to play old games. It runs Ubuntu
7.04 and of course has Ruby on it and used for a couple of tasks.

The two non used machines:

Laptop - My first laptop bought about 4 years ago now so that I could
work while commuting. Can't remember the make, was bought from PC
World in the UK. Its a P4 2GHZ with 512MB ram and runs XP & FreeBSD
(which I was experimenting with recently). It is kinda broken with a
huge crack in the wrist area and the battery is knackered (40 minutes
of life). Sadly I can't get a new battery for it and it can't operate
with its lid closed so I can't really use it for much other than give
to my kids when they are older. Has Ruby and did have Cygwin.

Mail - Old Dell box that my wifes former company was selling of for 50
pounds. Something like a 600mhz box with 128mb ram. I did have a copy
of XP and my old mail server (Mercury Mail) running on it. Yes XP
would run, yes it was slow but I stopped most of the services and
could happily run the mail server and the virus scanner in under 128MB
of ram. Surprised the heck out of me!

Given Away:

Dell XPS 133 - Gave that away to someone that simply need to write up
poems and stuff. It really is a crock that shops tell you that you
need a minimum of 1.x GHZ to do things. 133mhz was quite fast enough
for a number of things! Scarely the machine when new cost about 2000
pounds.

Custom Built 900mhz Athlon box with 512MB ram. My first own built
machine and I loved it. Was also the first Machine that I ever ran
Ruby on.

Want:

A new Games PC but in this day and age is there much point as most
stuff is being aimed for games consoles. (I want games like iWar and
XWing or Tie Fighter to make a comeback)

A Mac Mini / Apple TV to run in the living room rather than my wifes
laptop for TV & Video needs.

iMac or MacPro for generally usage and development.

I tell ya from having my MB I love having a quiet computer. My main XP
box makes such a racket its crazy, no quiet listening to music through
it.

Apologies for boring everyone

Chris Carter

I went to the Lone Star Ruby Conference last week. 7 of us went out to
dinner one night, and we counted up how many computers each of us had at
home, that were operational and could be use if needed.

We counted 53 between the 7 of us. I only have 6, others had over 14.

What's your inventory count?

Todd

I have 3, but up to 3 more may be on the network at any given time.
* saurasaurus: Rev A MacBook, 10.4, ruby 1.8.6 and 1.9
* servasaurus: PPC Mac mini: 10.4, ruby 1.8.4
* deadasaurus: Beige box Dell machine. Debian Etch, ruby 1.9, No RAM

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Chris said:
I have 3, but up to 3 more may be on the network at any given time.
* saurasaurus: Rev A MacBook, 10.4, ruby 1.8.6 and 1.9
* servasaurus: PPC Mac mini: 10.4, ruby 1.8.4
* deadasaurus: Beige box Dell machine. Debian Etch, ruby 1.9, No RAM
You should buy a Zaurus and call is zaurusaurus ...

F. Senault

Le 14 septembre 2007 à 17:29, Todd Burch a écrit :
What's your inventory count?

Not that much. We have 5 boxen (and 6 cores) for 4 inhabitants, plus
the huge pile of junk in the corner on my room (but I'm afraid that the
most powerful CPU I have back there is a PII).

Fred