How to bring Java project under RCS into NetBeans?

opalpa opalpa

Good evening,

I'm attempting to bring an RCS'ed Java project into NetBeans 5.0
release candidate 2. The import of this ant project goes smoothly and
cleanly. I updated NetBeans with "VCS Generic Command-Line Support"
module. This module specifcally notes support for RCS.

The project has a couple of packages and each package directory has an
RCS directory with RCS files. I would like NetBeans to check out with
lock when I start editing or ask to refactor. I would like NetBeans to
checkin and unlock when I save file or refactoring is finished.

This behaviour is not automatic. I have looked at 'Options ->
Advanced Options -> Source Creation and Managment -> Version Control
Settings -> Generic VCS Profiles' but do not see how I can change
anything. When the behaviour was not automatic I suspected that I
could somehow tell NetBeans to execute "/usr/bin/co -l ${filename}" and
"/usr/bin/ci -u ${filename}" at appropriate times. I do not even see
how to modify any profile. Looking at NetBeans help files and
searching google has not lead me to a solution.

Please advise. Perhaps another editor with refactoring capability
would understand this project's setup out of box? Perhaps there is a
simple way to convert this project to use another VCS?

opalpa
(e-mail address removed)
http://opalpa.info/